Comparison between HD DVD and DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IanMerseyside, Aug 15, 2006.

1. IanMerseyside

IanMerseyside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying a HD DVD player when they are eventually released in this country (November time hopefully?). I would appreciate comments from early adopters as regards improvement in PQ over standard DVD. I have had Sky HD for a couple of months now and to be honest I am slightly disappointed in the PQ of the film channels. There is a definite improvement against SD but nothing like the difference in PQ between the sports channels SD and HD which I would defintely put in the "wow factor" category! There have been a few notable exceptions, e.g Narnia and LOTR and if HD DVD can deliver this quality on a consistent basis then I will be in straight away. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

2. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I haven't seen HD-DVD yet.
    But i also have SkyHD and the BBC HD planet earth and a few of the games in HD give you a basic idea.
    The bitrate should be a lot better on the HD-DVD as the bitrates are very poor on SkyHD with the bandwidth issues.
    Can't wait to test one myself , although i'm hoping the addon 360HD drive will be as good PQ and decoding as any other standalone players that come out.:lease:

3. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    i personally find that hd-dvd blows sky away sky HD is amazing at times but HD-dvd is consistently amazing, the colours:eek: the detail:eek: i just wish everyone could come round and have a look!
    if u have a display that is capable of HD then i would start saving now u SHOULDNT be dissapointed:smashin:

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Yes there has always been quite a difference between HD broadcasts and DTheatre / HD DVD quality.

5. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  6. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064

IanMerseyside

I think the increase in perceived PQ depends on several factors such as your display size, resolution, normal viewing distance and calibration. That's why you will see a spectum of answers to the PQ question you ask. Larger displays benefit the most and the HD-DVD PQ on my system is stunning IMO and a very worthwile invetment of £346.

I've owned the A1 since early May and have about 30 movies in my collection. My perception of PQ is that all the titles are better than their upscaled DVD counterpart on my system. That said some HD-DVD titles have better PQ in my opinion than others and this may be down to directors artistic intent rather than outright PQ. Also just as with DVD transfer quality can differ from title to title so garbage in garbage out even in hi-def.

I use a 963SDI via a Lumagen HPD to upscale DVD and the result is very good on good transfers. HD-DVD is a league above with a increased crispness, higher levels of detail and lack of artefacts on my system. The images take on a three dimensional quailty over DVD and that's at 1360x768 resolution.

AVI