Comparing Sony mini HDV tapes

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by John Hondros, Feb 8, 2009.

1. John Hondros

John Hondros
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've just bought a Sony Z5 and I'm currently doing some research on the best tapes to use.

I know there is a lot of comment on the web about HDV tapes just being marketing hype, but on balance from my research it seems to be that HDV tapes have a lower chance of drop outs than regular tapes. As a result, I've settled on either using the Sony DVM63-HDV or the PHDVM63-DM ("Digital Master") tapes.

I've compared the specs of the two, and although I have not been able to find a full set of specs for the DVM63-HDV tapes, they seem identical as far as I can tell to the DMs from the specs available expect (1) they are a lot cheaper, and (2) they don't come in a fancy box. I've written to Sony for a full spec sheet, but that was only yesterday (and I'm not hopeful for a reply).

I need the most robust solution I can get as any errors are very costly for me, but if I can avoid paying extra money for nothing then I'd like to avoid it.

Any comments welcome!

Thanks, Makris

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Some people have gotten away with virtualy no drop outs with sony premium,i have not been that lucky and average 1 or 2 per tape but i still use them as pound for pound i do not think the value is worth it in the expensive tapes.MY HDV cams are SONY HC-1 AND FX-7 and i have used around 80 tapes recording hdv and that would be a lot of money useing master tapes.

3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Sorry to divert slightly, but how do you like the Z5E ? I believe it has a 20X zoom, amongst it's new features.
    A super machine, I bet ! Any probs ?
    (I have had no issues/dropouts with normal Sony DV tapes in HD format, btw.)

4. lead

lead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Despite the general concensus (on all the websites I read) that 'made for HD' mDV tapes are unnecessary, I still pay the extra for Panasonic's AY-DVM63AMQ. Not sure why. I guess I'm just falling for the marketting hype.

Even with these (relatively) expensive tapes I was still getting severe dropouts though. I'm hoping it was a camera (HV30) fault and that when I get it back from Canon later this week, it's been resolved.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  5. akkers

akkers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have had JVC and Sony cams in the past. However, I have never had any luck with Sony or JVC tapes. In fact the JVC tapes always gave drop-outs and sometimes made the cam head dirty. I have not used either tapes for a long while.

On the other hand macell and, in particular, Panasonic have been very good and I have never had trouble with them.

6. John Hondros

John Hondros
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm due to fire my first shot in anger with it tomorrow, so I'll let you know!

7. John Hondros

John Hondros
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update a few months later for anybody who's interested. I've now used about 15 tapes with this camera shooting in HDV, and I've not had a single dropped frame. 11 of those tapes were Sony Premium and the other 4 were Sony HD tapes. Not a statistically valid sample I know, but ancedotally interesting nonetheless.

8. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I've used about 100 Sony Premium tapes on my HC-3. No probs at all.

9. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Same here:smashin: And with HDV camcorders
    With SD MiniDV not a worry. I have not infact used any other brand for the last 5 years.

10. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Me too with all my hdv cams but i have always and always will have the odd dreaded drop, just unlucky who knows but i am not alone and it has not put me off hdv yet :mad: