1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparing Recording Methods

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fielt80, Apr 23, 2003.

1. fielt80

fielt80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are in my opinion three methods to achieve High Quality Recordings from Satellite Television.

1) Philips DVD Recorder (can record RGB or component which is
    much better than s-vhs) (max data rate 9,8 mb per second)

2) With a D-VHS recorder (although this has firewire, only the s- vhs input can be used for making recordings from satellite
    (datarate is 14,1 mb/sec)

3) Record a tv signal directly to a PC (with for instance a hauppauge nexus) and burn to dvd-r afterwards.
    (advantage of this method: you loose the digital to analog
    and the analog to digital conversion)
    Ofcourse the quality is also dependent off the quality of the MPEG-2 decodingchip on the DVB computercard.

Anyone any ideas of what would be the best recording method

Ronald

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Or a Panasonic DVD Recorder, or a JVC DVD Recorder or a Toshiba DVD Recorder etc. But I take your point - IMHO a DVD recorder is the best method available at the moment for recording from Sky digital largely due to the RGB in.

The high bitrate of DVHS would make it better but the lack of RGB in is quite significant. Thats entirely an individual view though - some people don't like RGB.

This is good if you can get it to work to a satisfactory standard but depends on numerous factors - HDD speed (really need SCSI for best results), Fast RAM (and lots), top end motherboard - and thats before you even think about the equipment your going to use to capture the video. I have not tinkered with this method since getting my second DVDR in Feb last year but, back then, RGB input wasn't available - only component (which may be better but requried a converter which lost quality to some extent).

I don't quite understand what you suggest in the next part of your post - you don't loose the digital to analogue and back again conversion when using a PC unless you have found a way to aquire a non-encoded bitstream from a Sky digibox? If so I would be very interested in finding out how you did it?

3. fielt80

fielt80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To my knowledge Philips is the only brand which can record
    RGB or component.

Panasonic/Pioneer/JVC etc are not able to do this.

But i am not 100% sure

Haupage Nexus-s is a single slot DVB receiver board which brings digital satellite broadcasts (TV and radio) to your PC
    Together with the Common INTERFACE decoding module which you can connect to this card you can watch Pay TV
    However for videoguard it is impossible to buy a cam module
    (it is only embedded in your digibox from Sky)
    (I live in the Netherlands so videoguard cards are not available
    here)

In other words which such a card your PC becomes a sat-receiver
    and because this card has a Mpeg-2 Compression chip you can record directly to the hard-disk of your PC

System requirements for such a card are:

PC with Pentium II Processor (min. 233MHz for Data reception) (min. 400MHz for TV reception)
    Windows® 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP
    Free PCI 2.1 Slot
    Sound Card
    CD ROM Drive
    DirectDraw® - compatible PCI/AGP Graphic card o Internet Explorer 4.X or higher o One free Interrupt (IRQ)
    Digital Satellite Dish

4. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    There's little point in recording Digital satellite with D-VHS (unless you wanted to take advantage of it's recording length) since the bitrate used on many satellite channels isn't even as high as SP mode on DVD recorders.

My personal opinion at the moment as to which is the best way to record satellite is with a Panasonic E30/E50/HS2

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    The current Pioneer DVD-RW machine cannot do RGB however the Panasonic E30, 50 HS2, JVC HMVDR10 and upcoming Toshiba RX3 model all do RGB in (and out obviously).

They don't do component in but as the Sky digiboxes don't do component out this isn't an issue - unless I suppose your copying a DVD from a component equipped player. However in that situation your better off doing it on a PC where you'll completely avoid an anologue conversion.

Oh I see. Well as that totally avoids the anologue conversion that is going to be the best method for copying Sky provided you can record the raw bitstream.

6. fielt80

fielt80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that is a good point. Only a lot of the german sat stations
    on astra are in 15 mb/sec

I think it also depends on the quality of the mpeg-2 hardware
    decorder that you can find in a dvd recorder or on a dvb (sat) card

I am suprised because i haven't been able to find that in the specs.
    (of the panasonic models) ( i only have checked those)

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
  8. fielt80

fielt80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i see you are right. Only the Panasonic customers in the USA
    don't have component inputs (not even on the panasonic topmodel HS2)

9. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95

;) A little bit of late night viewing of RTL wouldn't go a miss.:D