1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparing displays

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zmbq, Jun 19, 2003.

1. zmbq

zmbq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Next week I'm going to start looking at real Plasma displays (instead of just reading about them and thinking I should really get around to checking some displays out).

When I was shopping for speakers, I had a few CDs I took with me to check (they covered more or less the range of music I like to hear). I guess it makes some sort of sense to get a couple of DVDs to check displays. However, I don't know which movies will best emphasize the difference between good displays and bad displays. I'm also worried that instead of comparing displays, I'll be comparing DVD players in different stores.

So what should I do? What's the recommended way of checking a display's quality at the store?

Thanks.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take your own DVD player with you and with your video cables. Take time adjusting contrast/brightness/colour/tint on the Plasma.

Try Das Boot Superbit, LOTR, The Fifth Element superbit DVD's.

3. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try to find a dealer who has decent demo facilities and will let you try out a plasma in a darkened environment. The main weakness of plasma is the inability to portray true black, but the brightly lit showrooms of most high street stores disguise this problem.

I would suggest taking some dvds with plenty of dark scenes, such as Dark City, Blade II and X-Men to evaluate the quality of shadow detail when viewed in a dimmed room, as a plasma that looks decent on the shop floor can look pretty washed out in a darkened home theatre setting.

This is an area that sets better quality plasmas apart from the cheaper ones, but only being able to compare them in brightly lit conditions won't make this advantage as obvious as it would in a darkened room, though I realize that finding a shop that can offer these facilities can be quite difficult.

Regards,

Bob.