1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparing Component Progressive Scan and DVI Outputs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tobyjuggler, May 10, 2005.

1. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've currently got a Toshiba RD-XSX32 outputting progressive scan via component into a Panasonic 42" PW7 Plasma. However, I was just wondering if it might also be worth buying a second DVD machine (for playing purposes only), one that outputs on DVI-D.

My questions are: Will I notice a big difference in picture quality? Would it be good value (cost of new DVD player and also input board for my plasma - approx £150 for the input board)?

If so, any recommendations for DVD player up to a value of about £200?

2. givecredit

givecredit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a toshiba 46wm48 dlp tv, Pioneer 575a DVD PLAYER, Component connection, Excellent picture. I recently tried out Samsung hd945 dvd player, hdmi connection, found no noticeable difference, Not worth laying out the £150 for. Stick with your Tosh dvd, Wait until later in the year, and if you still want to go the dvi/hdmi route toshiba are bringing out a new dvd recorder with hdmi connection.
    For now just make sure you have good quality component leads, RecommenD QED PCV1. (£40)
    iF YOU STILL WANT TO GET NEW PLAYER, STAY AWAY FROM SAMSUNG HD945, HAS ALOT OF SOFTWARE ISSUES..AND FROM EMAILING SAMSUNG, THEY HAVE NO IMMEDIATE INTENTION OF SORTING THEM OUT SOMETIME SOON.

3. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You're probably right, best just wait....

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    on the pw7 component would be best imho.

5. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my setup DVI looks marginally better than COmponant but if I had to spend £150+ DVD play to get it then I'd use the cash to get some more software IMHO