1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparing component and RGB scart on PS2?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by dan1979, Mar 16, 2005.

1. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I just read the other thread on connecting a PS2 to a plasma and a couple of people said that component would give the best quality.

I have two leads, an RGB scart and a component - both are cheapies from ebay.

The picture on the component is noticably worse than the scart, the colours are slightly duller and theres a few jaggies on large objects where none existed before.

I expected the quality to be the same, I wanted component for convenience but the pq drop is too noticable to stick with it.

Are people assuming component is better or have people actually compared the two?

I could put it down to a poor lead but they both look equally flimsy and cheap in design.

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When a display receives a YPrPb component signal, it must be converted into RGB before display. Depending on the gain applied to the color difference signals Pr and Pb in this process, the saturation is affected. A raw RGB signal will have 100% saturation unless it is processed along the way.

Theoretically, using YPrPb with flat panel and other digitally processing displays such as 100Hz sets should be better, since they almost always use this color space internally (called YCrCb in the digital domain) for processing and not RGB. When you feed an RGB signal into such a set, it gets converted to YPrPb before processing. There might well be a difference in saturation between RGB and YPrPb inputs, because of the color difference signals generated internally from RGB input not being equal to those from a raw YPrPb input.

As for jaggies, there should be no major difference in standard resolution interlaced between RGB and YPrPb. The signal may be processed differently in the two modes, but probably not much. If anything, in YPrPb the bandwidth may be higher on the luma signal and a bit lower on the color difference signals to follow spec, but I'm not sure about that. If the bandwidth is higher with YPrPb than RGB, it can expose jaggies more clearly.

The question is if the difference is in the display's handling of the different signals. Or it could be like you suspect, that the YPrPb component cable you have is rubbish.

3. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I'll have to assume its a poor cable then, I wasn't sure how the PS2 was set up if it really produced the goods on component. The only obvious big improvement would be the £23 IXOS cable but I don't fancy spending that much, will just have to put up with cable swapping