Comparing BK XXXLS400 vs REL T9

wattwatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know theres loads of which sub should I buy threads which i've looked through and taken alot of advice from in terms of which sub's to look at, i'm stuck now on which would suit me better

I need a subwoofer that will mainly 85% be for movies and 15% music but my genre of music is Drum & Bass and Dance so I need something that can handle both well?

I have looked at the BK monolith but this is way to big for my room so was looking at the BK XXXLS400 but I'm lead to believe this is mainly for music and I should look at the REL T9?

Someone has mentioned the SVS SB-12 NSD but can't find any local dealers that stock it to demo?

I've got RX6 fronts, RX Centre & RXFX rears setup with a Denon 3313 Amp?

Room is 16ft long by 10ft wide and the REL @ £799 was right at top of what wanted to spend?

Why choose teh Rel with a 10" driver and 300w amp and goes down to 28hz at £799 when you can get a BK XXLS 400 that has a 12" driver 400w amp and will go down to 20hz for £420-480 depending on finish.

The XXLS400 is sealed and will do music slightly better than movies where their Monolith is a bit larger and ported will go a bit lower and does movies slightly better than music.

Both do music and movies just one is slightly better than the other for music or movies, both a cheaper than a T9 and much better performers.

or just get 2 bk400 and that will be even better and beat the rel with ease.

Ok, I'm getting the feeling that I would be insane going for the rel!! I did listen to the T7 yesterday whilst playing with the X35 (which I bought now :))) and I wasn't overly impressed!! No one has mentioned the SVS so the X400 it is then, maybe put the extra sub wire in to upgrade to a 2nd in the future!!

SVS are an equally good alternative and their SB1000 & PB1000 versions are currently available discounted from Frank Harvey for £425. It would be a close call between the SVS & BK models at the new SVS prices.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/advertisers-forum/1693840-frank-harvey-hifi-thread-news-offers.html

I was on 'frank Harvey' website after speaker to the UK SVS distributer they put me over to FH saying its best place to go!! Which my main two where the SVS & BK it's a hard decision lol... And unfortunately I can't demo ether!!

Would you say the SB1000 & PB1000 are a better choice then the SB12 NSD? I was adviced it was more comparable to the BK??

The SB12 NSD is going to be better than the PB/SB1000 but does cost £125 more but probably worth it as at £549 is still a bargain. Yes it is more comparable to the XXLS400 again the XXLS400 is cheaper and may look nicer as it has a wood finish.

Myself I am not bothered about the wood finish as all my kit in my hc room is Black grittex/vinyl.

It is indeed a tough choice without auditioning but you can rest assured whether you go for the SVS or BK you will have an excellent sub that can't really be bettered till you go up in price by a few hundred quid.

For me I guess it would be between the XXLS400 & SB12 NSD if I was buying in the sub £600 price bracket and wanted deep and tight bass in a sealed enclosure.

Yeah to be honest I'm not fussed on wood finishes as my current monitor audio RX kit is all gloss black so I would pay the little extra and have the sub in gloss!!

Am I right in what I read on forums and websites that the SVS just has slight edge on Movie use and both comparable on music... I'm swaying towards the SVS don't know why just seems to be everything I read on the BK400 reference it to music, I'd love the monolith but its way over sized for my room and was shocked when saw it in person!!

Thanks for all help and advice in this, it has defiantly saved me some wasted money in the REL...

Yeah to be honest I'm not fussed on wood finishes as my current monitor audio RX kit is all gloss black so I would pay the little extra and have the sub in gloss!!

Am I right in what I read on forums and websites that the SVS just has slight edge on Movie use and both comparable on music... I'm swaying towards the SVS don't know why just seems to be everything I read on the BK400 reference it to music, I'd love the monolith but its way over sized for my room and was shocked when saw it in person!!

Thanks for all help and advice in this, it has defiantly saved me some wasted money in the REL...

To set your mind at ease you will not be disappointed with either nor will it be un-:cool:......I've also read that the svs had the edge with movies.

If you are swayed to the SVS go for that then as if you don't you will always be thinking what if......:)

Probably just pips the 400 for movies so should suit you better.

I tried both SVS SB12-NSD, the XXLS400 and the PB-1000.

If it was 85% music and 15% movies I could have perhaps, at VERY loud volumes plumbed for the SB-12 NSD

I am 75% movies and 25% music with a wide and varied taste in music. Movies and the 'low' base impact was important

The PB-1000 blew the others into the weeds for the LFE on movies, matched the XXLS 400 for everything else and was only pipped for control at ridiculous volumes for music by the SVS SB12-NSD

All very good subs (plenty for a lot more £ are not as good) but thought I should add my 2p worth. I have monitor audio's all round for speakers (7.1) and a Yamaha RX-A2010 amp to give you the full audio picture

The only downside to the PB-1000 is it is a little larger than the others - but if you want true feel to your low bass then this is probably a given :D

Those with a more eclectic taste in music may feel differently, but for me the PB-1000 just couldn't be beaten for the movie bias I had

Cheers

Thanks for putting your 2p worth in! After reading your post and thinking that my movie watching out ways anything else, I really want a sub that can handle movie's the best, so I went searching through the forum again and found most people where rating the PB-1000 more for movies then the SB12-NSD.

After looking on 'frank Harvey' website and seeing that the better rated one is actually slightly cheaper sold :)) so the PB-1000 now on order and hopefully I'm as happy as everyone else...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom