Comparing backups of photos on PC

jamezm

Hi. Not sure how best to articulate this question for it to make sense but here goes...

Over the past decade or so, I have built up a load of different backups of document and photo folders, not all of them sharing the same structure. I'm trying to consolidate the backups so that I can free up a load of space (and because it's niggling at the back of my mind having such a disorganised set of different backups). My main concern is the photos (as these take up the most space and have the most sentimental value). We are talking c.100k files. So my objectives are:
  • reduce this all down to just two different backup sets
  • not lose any photos
  • free up space

Now I know there are applications like WinMerge that would allow me to quickly compare folders and identify where there are differences between the folders' contents, but I don't think that would quite achieve what I want as the folder structures are so different. I think what I actually need is a way to quickly see what files/photos are not duplicated across two different backups somewhere/anywhere in the folder structure. Or an application that genuinely consolidates folders across the whole hierarchy regardless of whether files are in the same location in those separate folders. Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance.

jamezm

Mods, could we please move this to the Computing forum?

sep8001

I used an apps to compare my music files, but cannot remember them.

Looking online this one has been suggested

I would make sure you keep a backup of the files as they are until you are happy that the new drives have all the data you need.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom