Comparing a 4770 with aan X1900 - how much better?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
My X1900 card is playing up. Very loud beep when I've been playing COD for a while and then odd patterns in the graphics.

I'm thinking of replacing it with the 4770 but I need to know there is a big improvement in performance.

I looked on Tom's hardware but didn't understand the figures.
How much better is the 4770?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
According to Tom's Hardware the X1900 GT is slightly faster than a 4650 DDR2 so you're probably looking at a ~3x improvement, with a modern CPU of course.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Wow. If I recall right the X1900 cost over £150. The 4770 is about £80. So three times the power for half the cost. It will do for me. Thanks.
Unless my Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.40GHz is not powerful enough?

Last edited:

Razor

Your e6600/q6600 @ stock speeds will be fine with a 4770 and you will see a massive boost in games. :)

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Yay, thanks. Ordered from Scan.

Paul Shirley

Ordered from Scan.
Scan is probably the worst place to order something in short supply like 4770's are right now. Scan don't reserve stock for accepted orders - in stock simply means last time they looked there were boxes on the shelves, those boxes might already be sold. They won't notice till the order is picked - which is after taking your money and confirming a delivery date!

Had this happen twice already this spring, took 3 days for them to notice the 1st time, thankfully just 1 for my 4770. If you need it quickly Novatech & Ebuyer have accurate stock figures, reserve stock when you order and have free delivery for 4770's.

BTW: don't bother with the shipped drivers, go straight to Catalyst 9.5, especially if you intend using TV out.

Last edited:

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
I'm not really in a hurry and so I didn't mind ordering the Asus which is not in stock any way.
Thanks for the driver tip. Already installed 9.5 after the problems with this card.
Never had a use for the TV out. Can't think of one, either.

Last edited:

Boon72

from what ive read the 4770 is on a par with the 4850 for gaming which will be a great improvement over the 1900 as it is over my 3780 :) & for the bonus of less than £90, 2 of them beat the 4890 :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom