1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

comparing 5th generation player to 3rd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jesus H, Nov 13, 2000.

1. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought someone a pioneer 530 dvd which arrived today and compared it to my 919
    i was impressed bu the menu and speed, chapter skipping is as fast as laserdisc and load speed is similarly quick. Unfortunately build was a bit cheap, clunky tray and non brushed aluminium fascia,, remote sucked as well.

has anyone else compared different generation players, what are your opinions

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

2. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've got a Generation 1 machine.

It's better than most machines that are coming out now as these tend to mostly be cut down versions.

3. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I got a SONY DVP S7000 it was superceded by the S7700. Looks the same and performs virtually the same.

Heard of it?

DaveH.

4. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not heard of the 7000
    seen and heard mmuch of the 7700 though, its kinda famous.

how old is the 7000, and does it do dts if its an older player?

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

member formerly known as hank hill

5. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what firsty gen player have you got?

6. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It looks exactly the same as the s7700, that wicked sliding panel. The only difference is the tray is moved to centre of the player on 7700 but to the side on the 7000. As I got the Hong Kong model it is also gold.

The only thing is it does not do DTS. This is beginning to worry me with all the new software coming out.

The machine is old now but waas built with all expensive stuff to make it 'reference standard' It's a great machine and the first one Sony ever built. It must be almost 4 years old now.

My brother has the US version which is the same only Black which also looks nice.

Mine is a region 3, but for some reason always played region 1 (which is good because when I ordered it this is all I wanted) It has NEVER refused to play a disc or play one with a glitch. It plays Patriot too. It does not do Region2. I'm not bothered as I had a headstart on everyone and I have loads of discs.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,

I guess DTS would be nice (I've just bought a 7700 [​IMG] so I haven't got your problem). However, there are mutterings that although DTS at its best should be better than DD5.1, in reality the 4:1 compression ratio is being sacrificed to make way for extras on discs.

In other words, DTS on a lot of discs is not noticeably better than DD. Hmm.

Unfortunately there are some DTS discs (Saving Private Ryan is a major example) which are widely acknowledged as bettering DD.

Six hundred quid is a lot of DD discs...