Compare REL Q150 vs. Storm

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by houstondave, Sep 21, 2007.

1. houstondave

houstondave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Other than peak power output, is there any appreciable difference in sound quality between the REL Q150 and the older Storm? The rated frequency range of the Storm is one hz lower, at 18 hz, than the Q150's 19hz, and the Storm is of course rated at only 100w RMS into 8 ohms vs. the Q150's 150w. But given moderate average playing volume from Sonus Faber Concerto mains driven by a Quad 909 amp (rated at 140w into 8 ohms), neither sub would be put anywhere close to its maximum rated output. So I don't know that the difference in sub peak output really matters. Given the choice at equivalent price, for my amp and speakers, which of these two REL products would you prefer?

2. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    There aren't many REL fans round here, but those that have experience of enough of them never seem to rate the Q series for music against the STs.

The bigger cabinet of the Storm means it's conservatively rated watts may stretch a bit further than those of the compact Q150, but in all honesty I wouldn't worry too much about the quoted specs. Neither are likely to reproduce 18 or 19Hz with any meaningful authority - they're not physically big or powerful enough, but the Storm will get alot closer if it's of concern.

The Storm at least looks like a piece of furniture and would pass for a side table. It would be my choice.

Russell

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Do a Google search for <subwoofer tests>.

The tests are hosted on another forum.

Page 2 -> REL Storm 5.

Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask. ;)