Compare Marantz SR9600 and Denon AVR-A100

Aluiz

Novice Member
Hi Team,

Planning to buy a used AVR and have short listed Marantz SR9600 and Denon AVR-A100.
Which one has more audiophiliac. I will be using it mainly for music.

Luiz

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

The Marantz. It's an absolute beast and superior to the Denon. Is there any reason why you would want an AVR for music listening other than having a 5.1 audio set up?

Aluiz

Novice Member
I also watch movies sometimes, but I enjoy music more. I also didnt aant seperate power amp due to space constrain.

gibbsy

My decision would still be the Marantz, it was at one time their flagship model. It weights nearly 26kg, a monster. There is one drawback if wanting to use for movies, especially if you eventually get or have a 4K TV and player in that you would not be able to pass through 4K video. Not a major problem as there are workarounds. Power is rated at 140 watts into 8 ohms with 2 channels driven so plenty of power on tap.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Is there any reason why you would want an AVR for music listening other than having a 5.1 audio set up?
I actually find a lot of merit in this approach. Just as an example I wanted a decent cheap amp to use with an old pair of speakers and a Chromecast audio. For £100 an old Arcam AVR200 seemed like a bargain and way better at stereo than a £100 stereo amp.

Similar story with the Yamaha A1 I inherited from my FIL, it's worth very little bit still offers better performance than a cheap sh*tty stereo amp IMO

Aluiz

Novice Member
Both Marantz SR9600 and Denon AVR-A100 have same power rating and both are kind of special editions. Is Denon worth since it was launched after Marantz SR9600 ?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
It would be hard to say without direct comparison.

My gut feeling that for your main use of music Marantz generally has a better rep than Denon.

I'd also say after a brief Google that the Denon is just a fancy pants special edition 4311 (there's an owner's thread on here covering both from 2010) which would possibly make me veer towards the Marantz.

Note the Marantz is quite a bit older than the Denon. AFAICT the Marantz can accept multi channel PCM over HDMI if your source can decode the uncompressed soundtrack whereas the Denon can bitstream and decode Dolby HD and DTS MA itself.

What sort of price for either are you looking at?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom