1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compare HS50, 5700 and Z3 - fast!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by theronster, Nov 21, 2004.

1. theronster

theronster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Would anyone out there be able to offer me an objective comparison of these 3 projectors - projector demos on this side of the Irish Sea are hard to come by!

Basically I would like to know...which is the best!? Not considering price or anything else, just purely image quality. I have a 5700 on order you see, and am now getting the jitters wondering if it was the right decision. Times a'tickin, and I probably only have 10 hours in which to cancel it if not.

Anyone?

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi and welcome to the forums..... ;)

There have been no deliveries of the HS50 yet so no one can give you a definitive answer........... You'll see recent opinoins of the Z3 a-plenty here, and presumably some opinions of the 5700, but I haven't read comments from anyone who's demoed both.

Concur on the lack of choice in demo opportunities over here, I realise that this might be unhelpful, but my inclination would be to wait for the HS50 to hit the streets and get some real-world feed-back from knowledgable sources. If you've seen the 5700 and are happy that it's the one that you want then don't drive yourself distracted :eek: ........... the next "best projector" is always just a few weeks/months away from release, you have to hop off the fence at some stage.

Sean G.

3. theronster

theronster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah I guess you're right - I think the 5700 is probably the one for me, just worried about the throw length at the minute (only have 10' to work with, but thinking of moving very, very soon).

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    According to the throw-distance calculator on projectorcentral.com, a 10ft throw-distance will give you a maximum image size of 63" wide...... that's with full zoom. That's not exactly huge by usual front projection standards - you might want to take this into account, if you haven't factored it into your thinking already. If you're moving, a 12' throw distance will give you 78"wide image at full zoom. It's a long-throw projector, to get a 7ft wide image, you need a throw distance of about 15.5ft with the zoom at midpoint.

Using the zoom at full extent can cause barrell distorion on some lenses - I know nothing about the 5700 from first-hand knowledge, but you might lke to do some addtional reading on avsforum.com (USA site) - there might be more info over there.

Sean G.