Compare Freeview Picture quality with SKY

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by advid, Apr 25, 2007.

1. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ...I've just had a new toshiba 37" LCD TV delivered and although I used to get a good SKY SD (not HD) picture with my old 32 CRT TV the new Toshiba Sky picture quality overall is not as good....

The new Toshiba has a built in Freeview tuner and this gives excellent quality at SD...

Why is my SKY quality not as good as Freeview and is there any way to improve the quality ?? (ie gold Scarts etc)

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    To get a quality picture from the SKY box onto your TV a few things have to happen.
    SKY picture settings set to 16:9 not 4:3, set to RGB not PAL and connect with a quality cable (SCART) I use a QED cable and the jump in quality was immediately noticeable. If you are using what I call a £1.99 supermarket special then do yourself a favour and throw it away. To get quality over SCART does not mean spending crate loads of money but chosing a good SCART cable to do the job. My son got one of these which in normal shops would cost £20+ http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Audio,+V...IGNAL/PSG00982/displayProduct.jsp?sku=AV14669
    P.S. Make sure your SCART cable is plugged into a RGB enabled SCART socket on the TV, not all SCART sockets are RGB enabled, see your manual.

3. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks for the link....

The scart cable on my Sky digibox going into my new Toshiba TV looks like it could pull along a car... its 20mm diameter and I would think it's good quality.....

I don't want to spend good money if even a 'gold plated special' is only going to improve my picture by a couple of percent...

I'm coming out of the Sky into - TV Scart AV1 (RGB) - is this right ? (same setting as with my old CRT TV ).... Is there another way I could try...?

Switching between PAL/RGB on my Sky setup menu doesn't seem to make any difference... why is that..? is it only minimal...??

4. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    Once you have done the change in the SKY box try changing TV source to say AV2 and then back again to AV1. The SKY box still gives a signal out on the composite lead whilst in RGB mode and the TV may not register this.
    Cable size on a SCART does not mean FAT=Quality.
    Make sure the SKY box and TV are both set to 16:9.

5. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've decided ....my Sky picture looks terrible.. here's an example of the Sky menu.... those are NOT jaggies due to my low res photo - that's is exactly what I get.... bits of lettering missing and outlines flickering...

Imagine what my TV pics are like - no fine detail.....crap... can get better pics from my camer phone....

As I've already said - inbuilt Freeview much better.....

...a good scart will really fix this.....????

Anyone know what's happening OR not happening as the case may be ????

6. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ...pic should be here !!!

Attached Files:

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

An inbuilt tuner bypasses the analogue cable (scart etc), you would probably find that the inbuilt tuner also would outperform a Freeview standalone box more often than not. DTT has higher resolution and higher bitrate for some channels than Dsat with the main exception being Five so that would also play a part but not that big a part since Dsat viewing on my LCD is prefectly acceptable and well when you get right down to it the resolution of some Freeview channels is so poor even on a CRT you can see the compression issues.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Well first off you are taking a low resolution broadcast and scaling it upto a higher resolution and that will have an impact in the same manner as enlarging a jpg, the amount depending upon the quality of the scaling and de-interlacing going on. Of course the quality of the original source will also play a part which is why some channels look better than others.

A close up view will emphasis the image corruption/scaling side effects which is why you shouldn't view any display really close, the further you sit back the less these "errors" matter since the eye adjusts to smooth out the image.

The EPG is not broadcast it's STB generated image and should if sent via RGB scart look pretty good on any display, a different scart could make a difference but hard to tell since a scart has to be pretty nasty to really degrade the resulting picture.