Compaq presario C300EA fan problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by BritanniaJaf, Dec 29, 2006.

1. BritanniaJaf

BritanniaJaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    I bought the above laptop from pc world and quite impressed with it APART from the fan, it is basically coming every 2 mins and is driving me mad, i take this is not supposed to happen, is anybody else having this problem with it

2. BritanniaJaf

BritanniaJaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    nobody bought any of these laptops at all, fan on after 2 mins surely this aint right

Help guys

3. Stuzo

Stuzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Laptop fans are all temperature sensing, so if it gets to a certain temp the fan comes on.

It may be that the temperature sensor is faulty and is telling the fan to come on when it does not need to or it may be that the laptop is running hot due to its design and as a result the fan coming on is necessary.

What I would do - and this is by no means a recommendation that you should do it* - is take the necessary bits off the laptop to expose the fan, then turn on the laptop and play a DVD on it, see what the fan does to begin with - I would expect it to come on after a certain amount of time, run until it has brought the temperature back down to a predetermined level, then turn off until it gets above its threshold again when it will turn back on.

Once you have observed this happening a few times try putting your finger on the fan to stop it when it next comes on. The DVD playback should start to stutter and eventually come to a stop after a short while, this will happen when the CPU starts to overheat. If it takes a long time before the CPU starts to overheat (more than 2 mins) then I would say that the fan is coming on too early, this may be fault or it may be by design.

The other possibility is that the heatsink on the processor may not be making full contact with the processor and as a result not doing the best job of removing the heat from the processor. To test this I would hold the heatsink against the processor and see if it effected how often the fan came on.

*Please don't do this if you are not 100% aware of what you are doing and are willing to take the associated risks