Hi Guys,

I've just taken on a new job and have the choice of the following:

BMW 118D
Audi A3 1.9 TDI (105 BHP)
Saab 93
Vauxhall Vectra
Mondeo

All brand new...

Ive pretty much discounted the Mondeo and Vectra on looks alone... dont really like them.

I like the 118 and Saab looks, but know the A3 is a great car too.

Anyone got any input / been through a similar decision? Anyone living with any of them got any input?

Thanks in advance.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Whichever's cheapest on the tax for you. Depends on how interested you are in the status symbol thing as they are all pretty good cars, especially the Mondeo.

Stoofa

Novice Member
Obviously the upper marques will cost you more in tax.
Personally I wouldn't be so quick to discount the Mondeo - they are solid, reliable and "get the job done".

If money was no object then I'd look closly at the A3.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
I'd most probably go for a 118D in white.

nokiauk

Not the Audi with that ancient engine, I like the Saab as I have one but depends what spec you get it in.

BMw would be nice but options cost a fortune and you will want some options, bit sparse without - also get the msport model.

Hitby

I tested the Vectra, Mondy and Saab at length and bought the Saab in the end. The Vectra seats are too hard if you do any sort of miles, the Mondy was a good car, pretty quick in 2.0d form but too common for my liking. The BMW is supposed to be a really good car and tax should be very low as (I think) it's the cleanest diesel you can buy

jayjay

Hi Jeff

I would also go for the BMW if you don't need the back seats. It's quite tight in the back there but you do get a hatch which is very handy.

The Saab is an option but just a Vectra with different clothes all in all. The Vectra is about to be replaced. The Audi is a lovely car to sit in but not as nice to drive as the BMW.

Why not go and have a blast at the dealer?

Jay

Hitby

I think it's unfair to say the Saab is just a Vectra. Sure, it shares the chassis, engine and gearbox but handles 100% better and it's got to be said, it looks 100% better as well. They're generally better specced too

jayjay

I think it's unfair to say the Saab is just a Vectra. Sure, it shares the chassis, engine and gearbox but handles 100% better and it's got to be said, it looks 100% better as well. They're generally better specced too
Very correct. Saab shares the same DNA as the Vectra but is better sorted. Still not as great a drive as the BMW though sorry but maybe not as good a ride. You make your choice...

Hitby

I haven't driven the 1 as it was a bit small for my needs but the 3 is, as ever, a fabulous handling car.

Calpolaholic

Novice Member
If you can wait - see if the new Vauxhall Insignia becomes available. Miles better than vectra and looks more like a premium sector vehicle.

Misk0

Novice Member
We have an earlier model of 118d with 122bhp and I've driven new one twice as a courtesy car. It does have small boot and not a lot of room at the rear and for my liking it's too firm and not very comfortable for long motorway driving (think you can specify more comfortable seats as an option but don't know how good they are). I'd stick to SE or M Sport models, you don't get much equipment otherwise.

On a pro side, it's great for any other road, handles really well, fuel consumption is next to nothing and company car tax is very low (check Comcar CO2 Tax Calculator)

I had a test drive on Saab 93, 1.9 diesel with 150bhp. It was less then 2 years old, automatic. Very comfortable, not bad performance but didn't like the build inside, felt like cheap plastic and you could hear some rattle. I don't know the running costs or tax costs but it would be better choice for motorway cruising, if you like your comfort.

hth

boltoa

Out of that lot, personally I'd have the Mondeo in a heartbeat (I'm presuming the 2.0D?). Most practical car there, handles very nicely, and these days, rarest of all the rest apart from the Saab. Interior is very high standard too.

Razor

I'd go for the A3 or 1 series. Test drive both and see which one you prefer. The 120D is meant to be a very good car and the 2.0D engine has some pull (tried it in the 3 series). I have not driven the 1.8D version.

SteveTDCI

I thiught the 118d was just a detuned 120 (2.0) out if the A3 or 1ner decide on whats important, enigine + handling or rattly old engine and a little bit boring, if I had to choose again I might pick the 1 series over the A3 that I currently have

Razor

I thiught the 118d was just a detuned 120 (2.0) out if the A3 or 1ner decide on whats important, enigine + handling or rattly old engine and a little bit boring, if I had to choose again I might pick the 1 series over the A3 that I currently have
That makes sense, BMW like to do things like that. :)

boltoa

Has anybody who is recommending the 1-series actually sat in one? "World's first four door two seater" is pretty accurate.

If you need any kind of practicality, I would make sure you open a rear door and the boot of one before ordering.

And I'm not just on a downer on BMWs, I drive a starship-mileage E60 530d, and it's the best car I've ever owned.

Razor

Last edited:

eric pisch

Novice Member
BMW 118D - nice, small inside, every rep has a bimmer
Audi A3 1.9 TDI (105 BHP) - nice car, needs to be chipped :)
Saab 93 - vectra in new skin, guardian readers choice
Vauxhall Vectra - its a vauxhall :mad: and a vectra :mad::mad: a car so bad they stoped making them.
Mondeo - very good to drive, abit dull image wise, playing it safe

with someone else worrying about maintance i would go for a alfa brera, i would never get bored of looking at it

Last edited:

eric pisch

Novice Member
Has anybody who is recommending the 1-series actually sat in one? "World's first four door two seater" is pretty accurate.

If you need any kind of practicality, I would make sure you open a rear door and the boot of one before ordering.

And I'm not just on a downer on BMWs, I drive a starship-mileage E60 530d, and it's the best car I've ever owned.
I did but got the golf because of its size, rear space and boot are none exisitant imo, if you dont need them and your a bean pole type person then its a great car

gavinl1967

Agreed, cars HAVE to be German. Tried others, gone back to Audi each time. Will be sticking with them now from now on :thumbsup:

I also looked at the 1 series and although I liked the car, unless you have any more than yourself and a couple of cd's to transport around, don't bother, interior space is small

Razor

Another vote for German cars. :)

Agreed, cars HAVE to be German. Tried others, gone back to Audi each time. Will be sticking with them now from now on :thumbsup:
In your opinion. I find German cars lack soul, passion and are quite often not the "ultimate driving machines" they claim to be. BMW yes are very good, but every rep in the world has one. Audi A3's don't get me started. It's like the iPod of cars and everyone thinks they look cool in one, when in fact they've just spend £20k on a rebadged golf/octavia which a few twiddly bits, VAG must be laughing out loud.

None of these cars i'd have are on the list so apologies if this next bit is useless advice to the OP but if I could afford one, i'd sooner take a car with soul like an Alfa or a Renault Sport, something that is different to the "norm".

Chris.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett