companies that will tailor the drop

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sun, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hallo,

I'm after a 78" screen at the moment and am considering a DRH slimline, however my ceilings are quite high and to get the optimum 1/3 eye level up the screen I would need a total top border of 95cm before viewing area begins. I've heard back from Pete at DRH this morning and without adversely affecting the tension of the screen he doesn't think that a drop anything longer than 60cm would be possible. Obviously this is a shame, I'd like to give DRH my moolah but It's 35cm less and would in effect put our seated eye level at the bottom of the image, I can't see this being that comfy but I could be wrong. So I have 2 questions

*Does anyone else tailor screens without asking for silly money?

*Does anyone have experience of a 78" screen with the bottom of the image at eye level, is it a bit of a strain on the neck and make it difficult to view everything that's going on?

Cheers
    Mat

2. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mat,

I ordered a Da-Lite Electric screen from an AV company in the US, who gave me a UK spec model and I could have the material length tailored to any drop I wanted. Not expensive either. Da-lite were themselves unbelievably helpful, and accomodated every question I had (and there many!) and seemed to have an excellent relationship with the reseller.

I am not sure on the rules about posting specific names or prices, but the experience on every level has been superb.

I am happy to recommend them, but if the mods could let me know how much information I can give, I can post an update later.

Paul

3. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    hi phfjones,

thanks for the reply, that certainly sounds promising, did you have to pay customs or tax? I'm not aware of anything that prohibits giving urls and company details out on this site infact if you had good service it's readily encouraged from what I've seen, see the DRH threads in this forum.

I'd be really interested to know as much as possible.

Cheers

4. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tax is unavoidable, but as the screen is classed as a computer peripheral you should not have to pay import tax.

On a standard Da-Lite screen you should have to pay about £900.00. In the UK they are about £1800.00.

5. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi,

I'd be interested in a link to the company, there is nothing against posting links unless it's your own business. Although if £900 is the kind of price they cost then it's way out of my league, the screens from DRH are only about £150!

Cheers

6. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look on Amazon.com (the US site), and search 'Da-lite manual'. You should see some good options at prices more in line with your needs there.

FYI-The price you need to cover is cost of the unit, freight, and VAT (paid once its delivered to you). Collection at the airport will save quite a bit of money as well. You will pay a little more than the £150.00 but the product is well worth it.

Good luck!

7. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    SUN...

I purchased the 6ft DRH Slimline Manual pulldown screen.

I had an extra 45CM on top of the existing 45CM put on mine. Havn't opened it yet ( got it today), but i surely hope that they hadn't only add 15CM extra.

Will check it tonight !

There had better be a 90CM drop like i requested or else the screen goes back !

PS. The delivery note states "EXTRA BLACK ON TOP" but makes no mention of the actual length of extra drop