• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Compacts with custom self timers

crooky85

Standard Member
I am in the market for a new digital camera, and I have some very specific requirements. I require a programable self timer that has custom settings. Ideally I am looking for something where I can put in something along the lines of a 20 second delay before the first shot and then ten shots over 20 seconds. I know of some that have a 20 second delay and then 10 shots over ten seconds - this would be acceptalb eas a minimum.

Ideally I would also like a flip round screen although this is not vital.

The main use for this camera will be for fishing and the requirements above are for self take shots with fish:blush: However I would also like something that takes reasonable scenic shots as I like to take advantage of the palces I get to visit whilst fishing.

The cameras I am aware of with the features I require are the Canon A650 and the Canon G6. I have been swaying towards the A650 due to the newer technology. I ahve a budget of up to about £200 second hand so if you could put any more suggestions into the mix to confuse me even further it would be much appreciated.

I should stress the flip screen is an ideal - but far from essential.

Many thanks

shotokan101

Banned
You can achieve this with a DSLR and an add-on intervalometer timer....

Jim

crooky85

Standard Member
Hi Jim,

I have seen the hardware that enables you to do this and whilst the results are impressive I am often in a bit of a tizz when I have caught a fish and as such something that is so idiot proof that you can't mess it up would be more preferable. I am also trying to cut down the amount of stuff I take with me and as such the DSLR and associated gubbins are going to be left at home and a compact taken with me.

I also often have to hand my camera to others to take pictures with and some of the results I have got after handing over my DSLR have been horrifying - even when I have put it on auto thing that they would not be able to mess it up :rolleyes::eek:

I get petrified watching someone else touch it now:laugh:

shotokan101

Banned
Hmmm.... whilst not "Full Res." for the captures could you not just get an HD Video capable camera and set the movie mode running and then select still captures from the movie or edit it as you need ?

...just kicking thoughts around of course.... :)

Jim

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I've recently bought a Canon S3 IS off Ebay as a cheap second camera for times when I don't want to take my 40D. The camera is a couple of years old but is 6MP, has a flip out screen and also a built in intervalometer so you can set it to shoot images at whatever interval you like until either the battery runs out or you fill your memory card!

Seems like an ideal camera for your needs and if you ever fancied taking it a bit further, you can very easily hack the firmware using CHDK which in turn adds a host of extra features including the option to shoot RAW files.

Edit: To give an idea of the quality of this 'compact', check out the Flickr group Flickr: Canon PowerShot S3/S5 IS

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

crooky85

Standard Member
Steve,
Many thanks as this was not a model I had considered and it looks ideal.

I have had a quick look at a couple of reviews and they all seem to mention that you can delay the inital shot for anything between 10 -30 seconds and that then it takes up to ten shots. Is there an option to have a delay between these ten shots or is it preset at 1 second per shot (ie ten shots over ten seconds).

Sorry for the stupid questions - there is no doubt some technical terms for what I am asking about but my knowledge on such things is pretty limited...... at best!!

Rich

shotokan101

Banned
I think the Canon G7 and G9 (and maybe earlier models too) also feature custom self-timer modes as well...

Jim

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Steve,
Many thanks as this was not a model I had considered and it looks ideal.

I have had a quick look at a couple of reviews and they all seem to mention that you can delay the inital shot for anything between 10 -30 seconds and that then it takes up to ten shots. Is there an option to have a delay between these ten shots or is it preset at 1 second per shot (ie ten shots over ten seconds).

Sorry for the stupid questions - there is no doubt some technical terms for what I am asking about but my knowledge on such things is pretty limited...... at best!!

Rich

No problem. To be honest, I haven't actually used the intervalometer feature although I know the camera has it. I've just done a quick search on the CHDK intervalometer and found the following page;

UBASIC/Scripts: Ultra Intervalometer - CHDK Wiki

It looks a bit daunting but basically after 'installing' CHDK on the camera (copy a folder onto the memory card) you can run scripts on the camera to add features such as stopwatch/remote shooting etc. The extended intervalometer should give you the additional features you need because I think the built in option takes the first picture as soon as you press the shutter button and then goes from the set intervals from there.

I've just checked the manual and the built in function basically lets you set the interval between shots from 1 to 60 minutes and the total number of shots taken between 2 and 100.

Cheers
Steve

crooky85

Standard Member
Cheers guys, I am quite liking this video idea, I think this could be used to get some fairly obscure shots - for example returning fish to the water etc.

crooky85

Standard Member
Steve,

I have just downloaded and had a look through an S3 IS manual and the feature I have a question about is not the intervalometer, but the self timer custom feature. I can see it can be set as either 2 seconds, 10 seconds and then a custom setting of up to 30 seconds before the first shot is taken. You can set it to take ten shots continuously I was just wandering what the interval between these shots is? Do they refresh on the screen between each one? Apologies for all the questions, but if you or another user have an answer it would be great.

All the manual says is "ten shots continuously" and that "the time between shots may increase if the flash has been used".

Sorry for all the questions.....

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
I've just tried the custom self timer and it is basically two menu options, firstly the delay and secondly the number of shots. There is no way to set a delay between the shots so It's just like holding your finger on the shutter in continuous mode. I was shooting in lower light with 0.4 second exposures and they basically fired straight after each other.

I think the intervalometer option will give you more control.

Cheers
Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom