1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CompactFlash Card - Which to go for ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Mr THX, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Afternoon all,

Just about got sorted with my choice of which camera/lens to go for (Canon 20d and the 50mm f1.4 Lens).

But then started thinking about all the other components that I'll need, compact Flash card being one - after looking over on E-Bay at some of the 'Memory Card' sellers prices seam quite good (especially if sourced from the US) the main problem though is which version of card do I go for ?? San Disk get a few good reviews, as do many others if you read enough :confused:

Is there much difference between them, I understand it can be a speed issue, but in real world terms would I notice any difference between say an Extreme II card to that of an Extreme III ???

Does the 20D even take the newer CF III cards ???

Looking for a 2gig card .......... anyone care to recommend a particular brand (Speed) they use.................

Cheers Chris

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I use a Lexar 2Gb 80x Pro CF card with my 350D. I got mine from Amazon as it was the best UK price I could find, and with quick nest day delivery. I didn't think the savings on eBay were that much by the time you had paid the postage and 'required' insurance.

Mark.

3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have a couple of 1mb Kingston Elite Pro cards. With my 300D, in camera speed is slow anyway, but I can tell the better cards when I plug into my PC to transfer my pics. Kingston are faster than my Sandisk II cards, Lexar standard next, and one Jessops special that I never use anymore as it takes 3 weeks to transfer 70 pics... :thumbsdow

Cheaper than Sandisk too.. :smashin:

Extreme III are pro cards, and pro priced too.....

4. antibt

antibt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do u mean 1gb?

5. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lexar are good. Lexar customer service are superb - I had an old (4 years old) 64mb cf card that wouldn't format. Even though I lost the receipt they replaced it free of charge from USA.

I now use Lexar 40x 512mb cf cards in my fuji s7000 and wouldn't use any other make.

6. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Like John I use Kingston Elite Pro cards - recently bought 2 x 2gb cards, great value and superb performance. Also have 3 or 4 Sandisk Ultra II 1gb cards that were my main cards, no problems with these either - good performance but higher prices than Kingston ones.

7. tel47

tel47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't know if this helps but i've just brought an sd card from www.w2w.com ordered it on monday and received by wednesday morning,excellent prices on there and free delivery.

tel47.

8. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cheers for your input guys..........................

tomson - Did you notice any difference in speed between the Kingston and Sandisk ??? How long does a full 2Gb card take to transfer to your computer anyway ?? are we talking seconds or minutes...........

9. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never timed mine. I'd guess 10 mins for 2GB full card in the reader.

10. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    The buffer takes slightly longer to clear after a burst of raw shots but never causes a hinderance. It might be different if you regularly shoot bursts for say sports photography.

Like RobertP, I've never timed a transfer but i'd hazard a guess at about 5 or 6 minutes using a sandisk usb 2.0 card reader. And about a month using a no-name usb 1.0 reader.

11. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    just tried timing a transfer - 1.86gb of raw files in 4.50 mins

12. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Good choice of camera and lens Mr THX :)

A link to flash card prices with cheap delivery charges:
    http://www.valuemedia.co.uk/compact_flash.htm

Integral i-pro have always been OK for me, not too expensive and fast enough for me.
    Not sure how much faster the Kingston elite pro will be.

The 20D buffer is huge for jpg, doubt you will fill it very often..

Mark.

13. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the interest of research....

I just filled my Kingston elite pro 2GB card with 257 raw images of the wall in this room. Held the camera (20D) with the shutter button pressed on continuous shooting mode.

Then i put the card in the reader (noname usb2 cheapie 7 in 1 from ebuyer nearly 2 years ago) and cut/pasted all the folders to the hdd.

To fill the card took a surprisingly long 8 mins 40secs - camera was waiting on the card write after the buffer was full. Releasing the shutter to allow the buffer to empty I could get 6 raws in a burst again - never allowed the write indicator LED to go out.

To empty the card took 12mins 40secs so i guess all usb2 card readers are not created equal.

To be at its best I should have formatted the card first - never thought to do that though.

14. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Interesting Information........

Many thanks to RobertP and tomson for taking the time with this query.....

Good point RobertP about all card readers maybe not being equal, one point I thought about was the manufactures quoted Transfer rates ?? they do state 'maximumn' transfer rates :confused:

It does highlight the point to me though that there is some big differences (Ok 4.5 to 12.5 minutes isn't that big) in how fast pictures can be moved from card to computer. The point of the 20D's buffer is not my main consideration as I'm not a big sports photographer and can only imagine testing the buffer limit on the odd occasion. The time to transfer a full card on to my hard drive is more the point. As I say whilst the time differences given of RobertP and tomson's test are not huge I would rather be waiting 4.5 minutes than 12, if that then is determined by which card I choose I'm really glad I asked the original question. I've have the CF reader built in to the side of the monitor so I might do a quick check that it is a USB 2.0 version :eek:

Thanks again guys appreciate the input :smashin:

15. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I see it both read tests were with the same card size and brand - tomsons' card reader and mine are different makes so it is either the card reader or the PC that is making the difference in times. Mine is a P4 3k with 1G of ram - so it is not particularly slow:) . My card reader however is a cheapie as (at the time) it was the only one around that did CF and xD cards.

16. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    ...mines a 4 year old 733mhz G4 mac, 1.25 gb of ram with an aftermarket usb2.0 card. Far from fast but plenty of life left in the old dog. :smashin: