Compact wanted. Small zoom, indoor w/out flash and good video.

paulr

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm looking for a compact with a small zoom 4-6x, good for indoor photo's without flash, and with a good quality video mode. Budget up to £300 for the right camera. Max print size 6x4.

Any recommendations.

I'd be looking at the Panasonic LX5, Canon S95 and Olympus XV-1 as they're the best of the compacts for low light although I'm not sure if any currently fit into your budget. Also unless the light is particularly good indoors, you're not going to get away with using no flash as even on a D700 (one of the best cameras for low light) I still use the flash regularly indoors.

John

I'd be looking at the Panasonic LX5, Canon S95 and Olympus XV-1 as they're the best of the compacts for low light although I'm not sure if any currently fit into your budget. Also unless the light is particularly good indoors, you're not going to get away with using no flash as even on a D700 (one of the best cameras for low light) I still use the flash regularly indoors.

John

The S95 is an option, but it is quite expensive. I've also thought about the cheaper Canon HS range, the 220 or the 115.
I also read the S95 cannot zoom while in video mode.

John
I was going to suggest the Olympus XV-1 as this is one of the best compacts for indoor photography due to the wide aperture.

Having said that, John is right in that you will still regularly need to use flash when indoors.

Jessops in York/Sheffield have them in store. Any more local Jessops to you should gladly get one in to demonstrate to you. I just contacted my local Jessops and they are moving a lens from Grimsby to show me in MK...

Try and see if they get the others that you like in as well ;-)

Jessops in York/Sheffield have them in store. Any more local Jessops to you should gladly get one in to demonstrate to you. I just contacted my local Jessops and they are moving a lens from Grimsby to show me in MK...

Try and see if they get the others that you like in as well ;-)

Okay, cheers.

Nikon Coolpix P300 is f1.8 as well :)

Much smaller sensor though that puts it into the Ixus 300HS class rather than the S95/LX5 etc. As it's a new camera I haven't seen much on it bar initial previews.

John

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom