1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compact speakers for Denon DF-101..?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Noswar, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Noswar

Noswar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Anyone any experience or thoughts of using a pair of KEF HTS2001.2 speakers with a Hi-Fi...?

I have a Denon DF-101 in my 12ft x 12ft kitchen and need a compact pair of wall mounted speakers to match...

Obviously at £200 a pair, there are better value / sounding boxes on the market, but they are usually too bulky to neatly wall mount in a kitchen...

Do you think the KEF HTS2001.2 are a good match for the Denon, or is it like pairing a VHS machine with a 50" Pioneer Plasma....?

Ta for your help...

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The speakers are te most important part of the system and and even make a bad system sound better.
    Make sure there impedance is around 4-12 ohms and they don't have a lower end limit higher then the 101s output.
    You may want to demo them at your dealer to see if you think it is worth it compared to the original speakers you get.

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Castle Richmond 3s.

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Monitor Audio Radius are nice and small and an excellent match for Denon.

5. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm... They're maybe a bit light on bass, and designed to be used with a subwoofer? CJROSS knows his stuff.

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Strange comment.... So do a lot of people on this site! Why do you need a sub? I can't imagine lots of bass being an issue in a kitchen.

They are in a 7.5"x4"x5.5" cabinet. The amount of air moved by these speakers is considerable for there size. Unless you like masses of bass (doubtful as it's a kitchen!) they would be an excellent choice. Small and discreet, able to be wall mounted, available in a wide choice of colours and offering very good performance and value for money. Certainly worth a listen Noswar.

7. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm only talking from the brief experience I had wiring up our R90's to my Denon DM31, and the lack of bass was noticeable - but that may well be acceptable for kitchen use.

My 'strange comment' referred to CJROSS's suggestion with the Castle Richmond 3's, not to his knowledge overall - I considered getting better speakers for my DM31 and looked at these. Think there was a lengthy discussion over at the HiFi Choice forums in the very subject.