Compact recommendations

gillbee

Novice Member
Hi,

I've looking for a compact for my other halfs birthday to replace an old cyber shot. I've been trawling reviews for days and now feel more confused than I did when I started.

A few models that have caught my eye are the Pany FT2, TZ10 and Canon IXUS 115 HS.

We have trip to new zealand is planned for the summer and will be using the camera for mostly scenary shots, wildlife, family snaps but also some Snowboarding , White water rafting etc. Would like decent video capability and something that takes great action shots. I'm not sure if the FT2 is a bit of overkill for us but I do like the idea of something solid as the other half doesn't get on with tech too well and is a bit clumsy. The TZ10 was on my list for zoom (handy for wildlife) and also the possiblity to override from manual which would be handy if we wanted to learn a bit more about photography. The Canon was up there for video and pic quality / hdmi.

Am I missing any other contenders around the 200 ish mark?

Thanks,
gillbee

twist

Distinguished Member
TZ10 is lovely and great value imo, youll see it recommended alot here for good reason. Jim AKA Shotokan can give you lots of info re this camera.

gillbee

Novice Member
Cheers twist. It's defo on the short list. Would be keen to hear from users how they find it for ease of use. My old cyber shot was great - simple enough to use whilst wearing a big silly pair of snowboarding gloves, slimline enough to stuff in a pocket and rugged enough to handle me landing on it few times! The one thing I disliked was sony's propriety charging doc station but things are a lot more standardised these days.

symonh2000

Standard Member
I just went from a Canon 115HS to a TZ10

The Canon has better low light capabilities, with far less noise.

The Panasonic takes much better pictures in good light, plus has a longer zoom.

I found that fine detail in outdoor shots on the Canon was lacking, and the images looked slightly un-natural.

The outdoor shots on the Panasonic have a clarity and punch that almost matches my DSLR, plus it has manual control.

gillbee

Novice Member
Good to know user opinion of two of my possibilities symonh2000. I think it's now a debate of whether or not I need something a bit more durable.

What's general opinion on the ruggedness of the TZ10? It's worked it's way to the top of my list, but if the inevatible minor knocks have a massive impact then I guess I need to look at the FT2 or similar options. It's not like the other half would drop it off a mountain or anything, but it whatever we go for will undoubtedly get used on a snowy mountain.

symonh2000

Standard Member
The TZ10 is fairly rugged, and I think it would survive minor knocks as well any regular digital camera.

I wouldn't want it to get knocked too badly though, say from a drop onto a hard surface.

The Canon isn't any more rugged in this repect, as like the Panasonic it made mostly from plastic.

Last edited:

gillbee

Novice Member
Looks like the TZ10 wins out over the other two and no other candidtaes suggested so seems like I have a winner. It's unlikley to be dropped from a height, but I guess it'll ocassionally end up in the bottom of a rucksack or get bounced around a little on the slopes. Didn't seem to do my old cyber shot any harm, so if it's not flimsy then it should be okay.

Now to trying to find a bargain. Seems all the sub 200 deals have gone for now.

Thanks again for the input.

sleekyG

Novice Member
Well hanging out here for quite a while tells me that TZ10 has a lot of good reviews and feedback from consumers more than any of the choices that you listed. So I think I'd go with TZ10 then. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom