Compact, modern alternative to a Paradigm PS1000 Subwoofer?

MK365

Afternoon,

Hoping somebody can help me find a subwoofer please!

Current system:
Harman Kardon Citation Amp
Wharfedale Evo 4.3
Paradigm PS1000 Subwoofer

The PS1000 belongs to my dad and eventually needs to make its way back. I love the sound and depth this subwoofer provides but it's far too big for my room and where its located.

Without demoing multiple subs at home, can anybody recommend something smaller and newer that comes close to the sound a Paradigm PS1000 produces please?

I'm currently using a SVS SB1000 Pro and whilst on paper it's more powerful, it's sealed nature means it just can't do what the Paradigm does. I do appreciate its a lot more compact too so if I can find something that does 75% of what the Paradigm does, I would be happy! Usage is 70% TV/30% music.

Thank you.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I wouldn´t be suprised if you feel the SB1000 Pro sounds better than the PS1000. While it`s compact it shouldn`t be slouch. I think it´s smallest sealed sub with 12" driver in the market. You also have 30% music listening where it should make difference. For movies you may lose some rumble, but as a whole this may sound lot better. There is some mixed opinions of the PS1000 bass quality and also depending which version you have (V1-V4).

Remember you get -10% discount if you call example Cinehome and ask AVForums member discount from Tom!

MK365

I wouldn´t be suprised if you feel the SB1000 Pro sounds better than the PS1000. While it`s compact it shouldn`t be slouch. I think it´s smallest sealed sub with 12" driver in the market. You also have 30% music listening where it should make difference. For movies you may lose some rumble, but as a whole this may sound lot better. There is some mixed opinions of the PS1000 bass quality and also depending which version you have (V1-V4).

Remember you get -10% discount if you call example Cinehome and ask AVForums member discount from Tom!

Hi Gasp3621,

Thanks for this, I was really hoping the SB1000 would have some real slam and depth but maybe I was naïve to think it would because it is sealed and I'm comparing it to a non sealed sub? Whilst it does sound cleaner and tighter, it just doesn't reach the depth (Hz?) I'm now used to hearing with the Paradigm.

Its a shame the SB1000 doesn't fit the bill, I don't have the space for the PB1000 or a Paradigm hence my search for something that gets close. I have already spent a lot of time searching for subwoofers and chose the SB1000 - I feel like maybe I am back to the drawing board! I know I will miss the Bluetooth control unless the replacement has the same or a remote.

Some subs I've short listed:
Dali E12F
Dali Sub C-8
Audioengine C8
Mission QX12
Polk HTS 10
Yamaha NS-SW300
Focal SUB300P (this one might be on the larger side)

P.S Thanks for the heads up on the discount codes!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi Gasp3621,

Thanks for this, I was really hoping the SB1000 would have some real slam and depth but maybe I was naïve to think it would because it is sealed and I'm comparing it to a non sealed sub? Whilst it does sound cleaner and tighter, it just doesn't reach the depth (Hz?) I'm now used to hearing with the Paradigm.

Its a shame the SB1000 doesn't fit the bill, I don't have the space for the PB1000 or a Paradigm hence my search for something that gets close. I have already spent a lot of time searching for subwoofers and chose the SB1000 - I feel like maybe I am back to the drawing board! I know I will miss the Bluetooth control unless the replacement has the same or a remote.

Some subs I've short listed:
Dali E12F
Dali Sub C-8
Audioengine C8
Mission QX12
Polk HTS 10
Yamaha NS-SW300
Focal SUB300P (this one might be on the larger side)

P.S Thanks for the heads up on the discount codes!

I don`t see any of those in your list being better all things considered. The SB1000 Pro may easily have more output in the higher range. If the Paradigm has fairly highish port tuning then it will also drop very steeply below that. The specs aren`t really convincing for the PS-1000; 130w amp, low freq extension 25hz DIN... If you don´t have large room and can corner load the SVS i think you will be suprised.

BK P12-PR is solid choice if you can fit it! It has passive radiator on bottom so quite similar to ported designs while keeping the cabinet size compact. BK products are built in UK, Essex. Internet direct business model, one middle man less. Lot`s of finishes to choose from.

Ed Mullen

The SB-2000 Pro is only about 1.5" larger on all sides than the SB-1000 Pro and has a substantial output advantage over the SB-1000 Pro especially in the deep bass regions. So it might work well in your application if the SB-1000 Pro isn't quite enough on the low-end.

Ed M

Last edited by a moderator:

MK365

I don`t see any of those in your list being better all things considered. The SB1000 Pro may easily have more output in the higher range. If the Paradigm has fairly highish port tuning then it will also drop very steeply below that. The specs aren`t really convincing for the PS-1000; 130w amp, low freq extension 25hz DIN... If you don´t have large room and can corner load the SVS i think you will be suprised.

BK P12-PR is solid choice if you can fit it! It has passive radiator on bottom so quite similar to ported designs while keeping the cabinet size compact. BK products are built in UK, Essex. Internet direct business model, one middle man less. Lot`s of finishes to choose from.

Cheers for the ideas, annoyingly I can't leave the sub in a corner, it will sit next to the TV, in between the 2 front speakers. The Paradigm is the V2 version and I think on paper it isn't that impressive but if you give it a listen, it does produce some serious bass for what it is. Not as tight as the SVS but deeper.....its just a shame I can't accommodate it.

The BK looks spot on, I've only ever heard Bluetooth speakers so it'd be interesting to hear theirs with a passive radiator. Some of my own research also points to say its a good compromise if you prefer ported subwoofers. They are closed right now - do you know if they have a showroom I can have a demo in and buy if I am happy? Willing to spend the 2 hour drive.

I am also planning on going into a store to demo any woofers they have that meets my criteria, will let you know how I get on!

The SB-2000 Pro is only about 1.5" larger on all sides than the SB-1000 Pro and has a substantial output advantage over the SB-1000 Pro especially in the deep bass regions. So it might work well in your application if the SB-1000 Pro isn't quite enough on the low-end.

Ed M
Cheers Ed for the suggestion. I had a look at this and unfortunately it is out of my price range :( Looking to spend no more than £500-£600.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Cheers for the ideas, annoyingly I can't leave the sub in a corner, it will sit next to the TV, in between the 2 front speakers. The Paradigm is the V2 version and I think on paper it isn't that impressive but if you give it a listen, it does produce some serious bass for what it is. Not as tight as the SVS but deeper.....its just a shame I can't accommodate it.

The BK looks spot on, I've only ever heard Bluetooth speakers so it'd be interesting to hear theirs with a passive radiator. Some of my own research also points to say its a good compromise if you prefer ported subwoofers. They are closed right now - do you know if they have a showroom I can have a demo in and buy if I am happy? Willing to spend the 2 hour drive.

I am also planning on going into a store to demo any woofers they have that meets my criteria, will let you know how I get on!

Cheers Ed for the suggestion. I had a look at this and unfortunately it is out of my price range :( Looking to spend no more than £500-£600.

I think BK used to have demo room in Essex, not sure atm so need to call them the day they come back. Don´t bother emailing.

Make sure you find some good dealer who knows how to setup the sub if they have SB1000 Pro there and preferably if they have demo room similar sized to yours would be great. As you can imagine in large room the small sealed woofer isn`t going to perform as good as in smaller room. PB1000 Pro would have been quite dramatic upgrade from what you have, but yeah it`s tricky if size matters. Arendal 1961 1S would be superb choice for powerfull sealed sub that would outperform even your Paradigm. It costs about 700£ which is not much as SB2000 Pro costs 899-1k£! Internet direct business model so one middle man less.

Do keep us updated, always intresting to hear peoples thoughts / findings.

MK365

I think BK used to have demo room in Essex, not sure atm so need to call them the day they come back. Don´t bother emailing.

Make sure you find some good dealer who knows how to setup the sub if they have SB1000 Pro there and preferably if they have demo room similar sized to yours would be great. As you can imagine in large room the small sealed woofer isn`t going to perform as good as in smaller room. PB1000 Pro would have been quite dramatic upgrade from what you have, but yeah it`s tricky if size matters. Arendal 1961 1S would be superb choice for powerfull sealed sub that would outperform even your Paradigm. It costs about 700£ which is not much as SB2000 Pro costs 899-1k£! Internet direct business model so one middle man less.

Do keep us updated, always intresting to hear peoples thoughts / findings.

Thank you, will be sure to call them before I make any trips.

My room is around 6.7m x 3.5m so not massive and the system is setup in the middle along the length - around 2.7m from where we are sat. Not sure if the SB1000 Pro is too small for my room and in a TV/HT scenario as opposed to music, especially with its placement not being in a corner.

I've seen the Ardenal and it looks awesome, I just wish it was cheaper - even with the amazing exchange right right now its around £680!

Will update on Saturday after the demo.

Cheers.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thank you, will be sure to call them before I make any trips.

My room is around 6.7m x 3.5m so not massive and the system is setup in the middle along the length - around 2.7m from where we are sat. Not sure if the SB1000 Pro is too small for my room and in a TV/HT scenario as opposed to music, especially with its placement not being in a corner.

I've seen the Ardenal and it looks awesome, I just wish it was cheaper - even with the amazing exchange right right now its around £680!

Will update on Saturday after the demo.

Cheers.

Arendal is quite a steal if you compare it to SB2000 Pro which costs 899£, but we have to stick with budgets so hopefully the SB1000 Pro is setup correct and you get a good taste of it. Try some songs and some blockbuster movies. If it`s too low then ask that you can use the app to run it bit hotter so get better idea.

MK365

Arendal is quite a steal if you compare it to SB2000 Pro which costs 899£, but we have to stick with budgets so hopefully the SB1000 Pro is setup correct and you get a good taste of it. Try some songs and some blockbuster movies. If it`s too low then ask that you can use the app to run it bit hotter so get better idea.

So update on my 'situation'!

Returned the SVS back to the store - they demo'd me a PB2000 which sounded absolutely incredible - one day when I have the space/budget, I will buy one of these.

The only other alternative they had to demo was a B&W ASW610 - he plugged this in and wow, what a difference compared to the SVS. My other half and I couldn't believe it so we asked for him to plug the SB1000 in that we had just returned thinking something was wrong at home. This wasn't the case, the SVS is just extremely tame even when setup properly. Really disappointed by it, especially based on the reviews/recommendations etc but it is what it is.

The B&W on the other hand blew us away given its size, price etc. Its so good I asked to borrow it to test and as expected, some amazing results at home.

I was in the mindset of returning the loaner and taking a brand new one but then I remembered what you said about the BK P12-300SB-PR. Given they are about the same price, size etc - what are your opinions on this compared to the ASW610? The various switches on the ASW610 are a bit confusing and I still need time to perfect it into my home/system so I will keep listening with various content over the next couple of weeks.

Not sure on BK's policy but ideally I'd like to try it at home for a couple of weeks before deciding. If I decide against it, paying a few quid for return delivery would be fine. I'm about 2.5 hours away so rather use a courier etc.

Thanks!

EDIT: The REL HT/1205 is on offer at £599 and seems to tick all the boxes except it has a 500 watt amp - tempting! HT/1205 - 500 Watt Subwoofer | REL Acoustics

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So update on my 'situation'!

Returned the SVS back to the store - they demo'd me a PB2000 which sounded absolutely incredible - one day when I have the space/budget, I will buy one of these.

The only other alternative they had to demo was a B&W ASW610 - he plugged this in and wow, what a difference compared to the SVS. My other half and I couldn't believe it so we asked for him to plug the SB1000 in that we had just returned thinking something was wrong at home. This wasn't the case, the SVS is just extremely tame even when setup properly. Really disappointed by it, especially based on the reviews/recommendations etc but it is what it is.

The B&W on the other hand blew us away given its size, price etc. Its so good I asked to borrow it to test and as expected, some amazing results at home.

I was in the mindset of returning the loaner and taking a brand new one but then I remembered what you said about the BK P12-300SB-PR. Given they are about the same price, size etc - what are your opinions on this compared to the ASW610? The various switches on the ASW610 are a bit confusing and I still need time to perfect it into my home/system so I will keep listening with various content over the next couple of weeks.

Not sure on BK's policy but ideally I'd like to try it at home for a couple of weeks before deciding. If I decide against it, paying a few quid for return delivery would be fine. I'm about 2.5 hours away so rather use a courier etc.

Thanks!

EDIT: The REL HT/1205 is on offer at £599 and seems to tick all the boxes except it has a 500 watt amp - tempting! HT/1205 - 500 Watt Subwoofer | REL Acoustics

The guy at shop and you didn´t setup the SB1000 Pro properly if ASW610 sounded better. It`s nowhere near what the SVS can do. Even the ASW610XP with 500w amp was quite let down performance wise. It`s different to setup through the app and the earlier SB1000 (non Pro) needed higher gain setting than competitors when setup with receivers. Now with the app need to be more carefull..

If you can fit the REL or BK then those will offer more naturally due to size and more power, the natural response of HT/1205 showed it has beefed up that that 50-70hz range so as some reviews claim it should hit hard, but may lack bit in the deepest region. The BK should have upper hand with movies at least below 30hz due to passive radiator, but if you can go listen the REL first...

AVF editor gave the BK P12-PR "editors choice" in the 500£ range. It included the REL too.

MK365

The guy at shop and you didn´t setup the SB1000 Pro properly if ASW610 sounded better. It`s nowhere near what the SVS can do. Even the ASW610XP with 500w amp was quite let down performance wise. It`s different to setup through the app and the earlier SB1000 (non Pro) needed higher gain setting than competitors when setup with receivers. Now with the app need to be more carefull..

If you can fit the REL or BK then those will offer more naturally due to size and more power, the natural response of HT/1205 showed it has beefed up that that 50-70hz range so as some reviews claim it should hit hard, but may lack bit in the deepest region. The BK should have upper hand with movies at least below 30hz due to passive radiator, but if you can go listen the REL first...

AVF editor gave the BK P12-PR "editors choice" in the 500£ range. It included the REL too.

I thought just that and hence asked him to set it up - I thought maybe I had a dud unit but it worked and he wasn't surprised by its performance and said this is how it is. I don't want to go into the faff of trying another unit so will just let it be and move on.

Thanks for that. Will see if I can listen to the REL at the same store. BK I will get in touch after they return and see what I can work out.

Not going to lie though, the B&W is growing on me both due to its sound and size, it does well for what it is! My head is just telling me I could be getting better value for money with the BK. Decisions decisions!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I thought just that and hence asked him to set it up - I thought maybe I had a dud unit but it worked and he wasn't surprised by its performance and said this is how it is. I don't want to go into the faff of trying another unit so will just let it be and move on.

Thanks for that. Will see if I can listen to the REL at the same store. BK I will get in touch after they return and see what I can work out.

Not going to lie though, the B&W is growing on me both due to its sound and size, it does well for what it is! My head is just telling me I could be getting better value for money with the BK. Decisions decisions!

BK every day of week and twice on sunday! B&W = 10" 200w, speaker manufacturer product = poor support and ASW range have had amp failures. Always buy from dedicated sub manufacturer. Don`t buy that B&W.

Both the REL and BK should do the trick for you! People rarely go listen woofers as the room would have to be very similar what you have at home and the guys will set the gear as fast as they can. This is what you get at Richer Sounds and the likes. Who knows he might have setup the other one so it sounds better as he gets better bonuses selling those overpriced B&Ws no one wants these days! I have heard so many disgusting stories what they push for people who don`t know what they buying...

MK365

BK every day of week and twice on sunday! B&W = 10" 200w, speaker manufacturer product = poor support and ASW range have had amp failures. Always buy from dedicated sub manufacturer. Don`t buy that B&W.

Both the REL and BK should do the trick for you! People rarely go listen woofers as the room would have to be very similar what you have at home and the guys will set the gear as fast as they can. This is what you get at Richer Sounds and the likes. Who knows he might have setup the other one so it sounds better as he gets better bonuses selling those overpriced B&Ws no one wants these days! I have heard so many disgusting stories what they push for people who don`t know what they buying...

Hahaha, thats how I felt about the SVS (pretty much a dedicated sub manufacturer) but it didn't do what I had hoped it would. I love the passion you have in guiding me away from the B&W!

The REL I would have to wrap in vinyl to blend so for now, I'll order the BK and hope it does everything I want and more for the money. I understand what you mean with the setup etc, I've spent several hours setting up each sub with a variety of sources. In all fairness, its not RS I went to, rather an independent shop and they didn't push either on me, I asked for the B&W. The bloke really wanted me to come back in to hear the REL but was waiting for stock so that may still happen but as you say, its difficult to demo properly anywhere other than your own environment.

So for now, order the BK and hope it ticks all the boxes, otherwise it'll be one long drive or expensive parcel (28KG!) to return.

P.S Do we get any sort of discount from BK as a AV Forum member?

Thanks.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hahaha, thats how I felt about the SVS (pretty much a dedicated sub manufacturer) but it didn't do what I had hoped it would. I love the passion you have in guiding me away from the B&W!

The REL I would have to wrap in vinyl to blend so for now, I'll order the BK and hope it does everything I want and more for the money. I understand what you mean with the setup etc, I've spent several hours setting up each sub with a variety of sources. In all fairness, its not RS I went to, rather an independent shop and they didn't push either on me, I asked for the B&W. The bloke really wanted me to come back in to hear the REL but was waiting for stock so that may still happen but as you say, its difficult to demo properly anywhere other than your own environment.

So for now, order the BK and hope it ticks all the boxes, otherwise it'll be one long drive or expensive parcel (28KG!) to return.

P.S Do we get any sort of discount from BK as a AV Forum member?

Thanks.

Sounds like BK will tick all the boxes for you then. No discount for BK, but they are already fairly cheap as direct to customer without middle man. Not sure do you have few finishes to choose from or what, but you could wait until they open and call on monday morning asking do they have X finish ready or is it build from order for all. Shame you can`t fit Monolith would have been easy choice for same money, but too large. FF and DF has different cab dimensions.

MK365

Sounds like BK will tick all the boxes for you then. No discount for BK, but they are already fairly cheap as direct to customer without middle man. Not sure do you have few finishes to choose from or what, but you could wait until they open and call on monday morning asking do they have X finish ready or is it build from order for all. Shame you can`t fit Monolith would have been easy choice for same money, but too large. FF and DF has different cab dimensions.
I think so, I will wait till Monday.

Question for you - the XXLS400-DF has the exact same dimensions as the P12-300SB-PR - which of the two are better? 300 watts + passive radiator vs 400 watts and no passive radiator?

I saw the P12-300SB-DF also has the same dimensions but misses the PR for a £90 saving, happy to spend the extra for a bit more depth and power.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I think so, I will wait till Monday.

Question for you - the XXLS400-DF has the exact same dimensions as the P12-300SB-PR - which of the two are better? 300 watts + passive radiator vs 400 watts and no passive radiator?

I saw the P12-300SB-DF also has the same dimensions but misses the PR for a £90 saving, happy to spend the extra for a bit more depth and power.
P12-PR for movies. XXLS400 for mixed use, but also has been long time favourite in 2.1 hifi systems (music). 90£ for long term is nothing so better not to save pennies.

MK365

P12-PR for movies. XXLS400 for mixed use, but also has been long time favourite in 2.1 hifi systems (music). 90£ for long term is nothing so better not to save pennies.
I don't mind spending the money so happy to go for either - my usage is 70% TV/30% music.

I'll stick to the P12-PR! Fingers crossed they have a white in stock.

MK365

I'd like to pick your brains if I could please!

I was having a think about the BKs size and decided to make a cardboard box to the exact dimensions and put it where I'd want it and unfortunately it looks slightly ridiculous next to my Evo 4.3 - its just so disproportionate. I have nowhere else to house the sub so now I'm back to looking at alternatives again. I have returned the B&W and must confess we miss it! I can get one closer to around £415 - would you say that is a more realistic price point? I personally thought £400 is what its worth. The amp failures you mentioned are a bit of a worry but I will have a 2 year warranty.

I did also have a look at a BK XLS200-DF which would fit and on paper appears to be better than the B&W but not as pretty (also not sure its available to buy at the moment). Also an issue with demo'ing - the B&W we had for a week and were happy enough with sound, looks, size etc.

A few pictures attached of my cardboard BK for amusement.

Attachments

• 20210807_140121.jpg
    20210807_140121.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210807_174456.jpg
    20210807_174456.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210807_174636.jpg
    20210807_174636.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210807_174730.jpg
    20210807_174730.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 34

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I'd like to pick your brains if I could please!

I was having a think about the BKs size and decided to make a cardboard box to the exact dimensions and put it where I'd want it and unfortunately it looks slightly ridiculous next to my Evo 4.3 - its just so disproportionate. I have nowhere else to house the sub so now I'm back to looking at alternatives again. I have returned the B&W and must confess we miss it! I can get one closer to around £415 - would you say that is a more realistic price point? I personally thought £400 is what its worth. The amp failures you mentioned are a bit of a worry but I will have a 2 year warranty.

I did also have a look at a BK XLS200-DF which would fit and on paper appears to be better than the B&W but not as pretty (also not sure its available to buy at the moment). Also an issue with demo'ing - the B&W we had for a week and were happy enough with sound, looks, size etc.

A few pictures attached of my cardboard BK for amusement.

What about the FF (P12 or XXLS400)? The cabinet is lower, but deeper. See below P12 - FF in white (has also white grill). Probably too deep cause you have to had the sub close middle of room. The box you made looks very large and typically the BK subs look smaller. Wish you would have made some measurement error. 😁

450D x 400H x 400W (FF P12 or XXLS400) Vs. 400D x 460H x 400W (P12-PR)

20aukgdiqaz31.jpg

If you had little bit higher budget then SVS SB1000 Pro would be option below 600£ or there is one open box SB1000 in gloss white. The price will be 480£ when you join as V.I.P and add it to cart. Full warranty (5years) and these are usually in top shape, box may be damaged but products are usually top as members buy these all the times. AVO is forum advertiser! This would be great product and small!

Dimensions (H x W x D)330mm x 330mm x 330mm

SVS-SB-1000-LE.jpg

MK365

Those Evo 4.3’s look magnificent :smashin:

Thank you! I confess they were the number 1 choice based on looks and I had nowhere to audition them. The local HiFi store I've been going to were nice enough to give me the option to return without a restocking fee. RS would take 10% so now as much of my business as I can give will go to the local store!

Had them for a few days and we were sold on every aspect. The RS salesmen said due to their port being at the bottom, they wouldn't have the same bass response as traditional rear or front ported speakers but I am glad to say he was wrong! The bass response for their size is incredible.

True to pretty much what all reviews say about the Evo range, they sound incredible with both music and movies - rich details, incredible voice reproduction and deep bass........all this for £1k and looking as good as they do (real vood, no veneers!). The only place they can fall over is with low quality media - older MP3s or vintage movies, they can get a little tough on the higher frequencies. That accounts for probably less than 5% of my total consumption.

I would highly recommend these speakers on every account!

What about the FF (P12 or XXLS400)? The cabinet is lower, but deeper. See below P12 - FF in white (has also white grill). Probably too deep cause you have to had the sub close middle of room. The box you made looks very large and typically the BK subs look smaller. Wish you would have made some measurement error. 😁

450D x 400H x 400W (FF P12 or XXLS400) Vs. 400D x 460H x 400W (P12-PR)

20aukgdiqaz31.jpg

If you had little bit higher budget then SVS SB1000 Pro would be option below 600£ or there is one open box SB1000 in gloss white. The price will be 480£ when you join as V.I.P and add it to cart. Full warranty (5years) and these are usually in top shape, box may be damaged but products are usually top as members buy these all the times. AVO is forum advertiser! This would be great product and small!

Dimensions (H x W x D)330mm x 330mm x 330mm

SVS-SB-1000-LE.jpg

I really wish I had made some measurement errors but I must have checked at least 5 times on all dims and I hadn't! Your setup looks ace btw, love the MA range (my dad has the Bronze 6s).

If both height and depth on a sub were 380ish I think I would be fine but on all options, one is 400 and the other 460 - the Evo 4.3s are 875 high so having a sub at 460 next to it dwarfs them. On the other hand, the 460 depth means the sub sticks too far out. The door you see next to its position has a lot of traffic and the last thing I'd want is one of us or worse my niece/nephew to run into it and hurt themselves.

Back to the SVS, my previous experience with SB1000 Pro has really put me off - this really was the perfect sub on paper but my home demo and store demo proved otherwise. The price isn't so much a concern (up to £550-£600 I can stomach) but its the physical dimensions and look/finish (it needs to look nice too next to the Evos and make sure my other half is happy) that also need to be ticked. The fact that the sub needs to be white also limits me (no REL HT range (black only)).

All of this just seems to make me go round in circles and end up back at the ASW610. I do wish I could dump a PB1000 in one of the corners of my room but all corners have been reserved for other furniture.

I've not made things easy for my self have I :D

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thank you! I confess they were the number 1 choice based on looks and I had nowhere to audition them. The local HiFi store I've been going to were nice enough to give me the option to return without a restocking fee. RS would take 10% so now as much of my business as I can give will go to the local store!

Had them for a few days and we were sold on every aspect. The RS salesmen said due to their port being at the bottom, they wouldn't have the same bass response as traditional rear or front ported speakers but I am glad to say he was wrong! The bass response for their size is incredible.

True to pretty much what all reviews say about the Evo range, they sound incredible with both music and movies - rich details, incredible voice reproduction and deep bass........all this for £1k and looking as good as they do (real vood, no veneers!). The only place they can fall over is with low quality media - older MP3s or vintage movies, they can get a little tough on the higher frequencies. That accounts for probably less than 5% of my total consumption.

I would highly recommend these speakers on every account!

I really wish I had made some measurement errors but I must have checked at least 5 times on all dims and I hadn't! Your setup looks ace btw, love the MA range (my dad has the Bronze 6s).

If both height and depth on a sub were 380ish I think I would be fine but on all options, one is 400 and the other 460 - the Evo 4.3s are 875 high so having a sub at 460 next to it dwarfs them. On the other hand, the 460 depth means the sub sticks too far out. The door you see next to its position has a lot of traffic and the last thing I'd want is one of us or worse my niece/nephew to run into it and hurt themselves.

Back to the SVS, my previous experience with SB1000 Pro has really put me off - this really was the perfect sub on paper but my home demo and store demo proved otherwise. The price isn't so much a concern (up to £550-£600 I can stomach) but its the physical dimensions and look/finish (it needs to look nice too next to the Evos and make sure my other half is happy) that also need to be ticked. The fact that the sub needs to be white also limits me (no REL HT range (black only)).

All of this just seems to make me go round in circles and end up back at the ASW610. I do wish I could dump a PB1000 in one of the corners of my room but all corners have been reserved for other furniture.

I've not made things easy for my self have I :D

Ah i forgot already that. But i`m still puzzled what was going on with the SVS you heard cause it should be noticeable step up from B&W. Did you read how to setup the app correctly or did you have the old version at home? Something doesn`t add up. Also were they listened in same exact position both models at home?

Those pictures aren`t mine, i always try to find something that would give some idea..

MK365

Ah i forgot already that. But i`m still puzzled what was going on with the SVS you heard cause it should be noticeable step up from B&W. Did you read how to setup the app correctly or did you have the old version at home? Something doesn`t add up. Also were they listened in same exact position both models at home?

Those pictures aren`t mine, i always try to find something that would give some idea..

I am too, based on the reviews it should be better. I tried playing with all the settings from the app as well as the control panel. Both subs were connected using the same cable to the same system and this was also true in the store.

The most surprising part was that the salesmen wasn't surprised by the SVSs performance, although he gave lots of praise to the PB2000 he first demo'd for us.

Maybe it's just my taste or ears? I think I'll just go with the B&W now, I've spent a fair bit of time researching, demoing, reading and you've helped too so thank you! I think £415 is easier to stomach than some people who have paid £520 on the RS website and still say its good value for money.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I am too, based on the reviews it should be better. I tried playing with all the settings from the app as well as the control panel. Both subs were connected using the same cable to the same system and this was also true in the store.

The most surprising part was that the salesmen wasn't surprised by the SVSs performance, although he gave lots of praise to the PB2000 he first demo'd for us.

Maybe it's just my taste or ears? I think I'll just go with the B&W now, I've spent a fair bit of time researching, demoing, reading and you've helped too so thank you! I think £415 is easier to stomach than some people who have paid £520 on the RS website and still say its good value for money.

That is music sub the B&W ASW610. Looking the specs alone the SVS should be way ahead. And also reading the 610XP measurements which is the same sub as you looking but with 500w amp you almost need two of them for the capability of the SB1000 Pro which has 5db edge all over and lower distortion below 30hz. 610XP made for small rooms / moderate listening levels as the distortion creeps quite a bit. Imagine the cheaper 200w version you looking, it doesn`t have the juice below 40hz even close to that.

BK XLS200 would be way cheaper and comes with high quality Peerless XXLS driver and 275w amp. The sad thing is you can`t try it first. Don´t know their returning policy. But seriously i wouldn´t but it for movie use cause i have owned similar size BK Gemini II.

Arendal 1961 1S would be winner at 700£ mark cause it competes with 900£ products (SB2000 Pro). Sadly it`s 100£ out of your budget. Is there any chance to save up for that? It`s narrow which helps to make it look quite small.

DIMENSIONS WITH RUBBER FEET 42.7H x 31.5W x 41.5D cm

JX8pfoFyFcNm6buU6nz__dKACU_xJzO7KF_F1P2PXs0.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Linn unveils latest Klimax LP12 flagship turntable
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Tizen plans include cloud gaming for smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play racks up 10 million users