Compact hifi for bedroom.

I have no experience of that particular marantz unit. I think the studios might be a overkill to be honest for mp3 and background music. The Missions and opticons I would expect to be a better match. The opticons and studios are 4 ohm nominal though.

@password1
The volume gets pushed hard regularly when she would be doing housework.
The studios are only €50 more than the Missions.

I expect the studios to need a much better amp than the marantz 612 and may even sound worse with an inadequate amp.

@password1

Makes sence.
612 paired with the Mission qx2 then?

Personally I would not upgrade the hardware as I don’t think she will appreciate it the same way you might (the get something different gets my vote) but if you are upgrading I would also add in a Spotify account (or similar) so she can play music she hasn’t heard in years. I think she will appreciate that as much (or more) than the improved sound quality. Oh and a bunch of flowers

@cottonpickers
The problem is I have spoilt her over the years with music and sound systems. She actually points out how some people hifi's sound $hi7 as she put it herself. Haha.

I do have a Deezer hifi and a Tidal hifi account that she will be using.
Also have close on a TB of flack and 320kbps mp3's that she can stream.

@bodas73
@password1

I am collecting the 612 ans QX2 speakers tomorrow.
Thanks to all for the input.

I have another question on the Studios,
Should I pick up a pair while at this price?
I am replacing my aging hifi shortly,
Unsure what to buy,
Thinking Marantz pm6007
Or Denon ???800 ?
amp.
Do you think the studios would pair well with one of these?
Thanks

The price of the studios is tempting but they shared driver technology from the MA platinum range which is expected to require high end amplification. If you intend to spend more on the amp then at that price they're a bargain considering what they originally cost.

From experience Arcam and Monitor Audio tend to be a good match. The Arcam SA10 which you can pick up for £495 open box may just about be good enough.

The Missions are probably a safer bet, they are award winning and were more money than their current price when they were first launched.

Last edited:
Marantz 612 and Mission QX2's collected and lying in wait for her birthday, unfortunately I can't do a sneak preview of them so might hold off until after 24th July. ( her birthday ) to make a move on my own system. Alsi I guess a new thread would be a good idea.
Thanks.

Lovely speakers. I think she'll appreciate the higher quality sound, it'll make a nice difference to the listening experience. Which colour did you choose for her?

Lovely speakers. I think she'll appreciate the high quality, it makes a nice difference to the listening experience. Which colour did you choose for her?
I went for the silver ( gold ) Marantz and black missions.

@password1
Forgot to say thanks for the advice.
Must figure out the questions for the new system for me to start a new thread.

Would the be any use to me for my new system in the living room ? ( small ish room )
I love deep bass though.

Yes, Studios I meant.
RS in Belfast have them in stock as far as I can see.
Available here

@password1
Well, the day arrived, we were too busy celebrating over the weekend to set this up.
So yesterday I got around to it.
Absolutely awesome results. She even said within 20 minutes that she can hear the difference between this and the old system.
As they say, "Happy wife,Happy life"
Thanks again for all the advice.

Thanks for the update and good news. I'm glad to be of assistance with the advice.

It sounds like an investment well spent, better sound for many years to come is better than a bunch of flowers that might only stay fresh a few days then be in the bin and forgotten about. A quality hi fi system is for life and she'll think of you when she turns on the system. They are worth more than what it cost you as they have sentimental value.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom