Compact for £300 - any other options besides the TZ3?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by SanPedro, Sep 10, 2007.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    What others are worth considering. The TZ3 seems to have everything sewn up in a great package.

What I would like are:

• Good zoom (at least equivalent to a 28-200mm)
    • Anti shake mechanism
    • reasonably compact
    • Excellent image quality
    • Good build and reliability
    • 6-7Mp

My brother bought a TZ3 and the black finish has scratched very easily - but I was very impressed with the image quality.

Others I'm considering are the:

Kodak Easyshare V610
    Nikon Coolpix S10
    Canon Powershot A710 IS

Any advice gratefully appreciated

2. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I have the Panasonic TZ1 & am over the moon with it, but my next (small) camera is going to be the Canon G9. It is 6X zoom but a Telephoto adapter is available X2 I think. However with 12MP with the 6X zoom & cropping I think it would still outdo the TZ1/3. It also shoots in Raw & is fully manual as well as auto & being able to use a viewfinder, especially at planes etc will more or less mean never missing a shot.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,603
    Hi

Excuse me, but I am still new to digital cameras, despite Zone's efforts a few months back :p I've done some research (thanks Google and Zone!), but with such a small sensor, 12MP whilst is technically amazing is well... unnecessary?

4. tdodd

tdodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Be aware that you should not be paying anywhere near £300 for the TZ3. See comparative prices here - http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod384.html.

Have a look at this website - http://www.cameratown.com/reviews/review_listing.cfm/hurl/id|3304 - which summarises several reviews of the TZ3 onto a single page and gives scores to the reviews themselves. You can then follow the links to the full original reviews, where I'm sure you will see alternative recommendations.

From the little I've read I believe the TZ3 is supposed to be an excellent camera, with great features. Where it will almost certainly fall down is in poor lighting, especially indoors, at night, parties, weddings (inside a church) and concerts etc.. This is a common weak point for nearly all compact digicams except the Fuji F30, F31fd and F40fd.

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Thanks Tdodd

Bought it from camerabox for £250 including extra battery, 2GB card and a case, which seemed reasonable.

Certainly compared to the '£299 - no discounts' proffered by my local camera shop :)

The low lighting problem is an issue though... and one I'm still getting to grips with.

Switching the ISO settings works well - although you do get more noise. On auto the camera produces horribly underexposed images in even moderately murky conditions. Also tried the presets for night time scenes which also seems to do the job.

6. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I got my TZ3 yesterday (£204). On auto, it uses the flash indoors, but also seems to over-expose hugely- my walls aren't white, but that's how they come out in the photos. I think I need to figure it out more, it's actually disconcerting to have no control over aperture and shutter speed, but I didn't want to break over £300 on a G9 or a Ricoh. I will see how it manages for outdoor snapping.

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,603
    I know the former is the Canon G9. Which model Ricoh are you referring to there? Thanks

8. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have the A710IS which I picked up for £160 in August. I believe the A720IS is now out with 8Mp instead of 7Mp.

The A710IS is a good camera. Great pictures and very intuitive. Like the G9 you can add macro lenses etc.

The key selling feature for me was the manual mode (and the variations in between manual and auto) which the TZ3 did not have.

9. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Sorry, the GX100.

The TZ3 is already making itself useful. Some nice pics and a short video of my mum holding my new nephew :)