• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Compact Flash Integrity Check

daven1986

Established Member
Hi all,

I think my memory card has a bad sector. There are always 2 pictures that don't come out when I take x pictures or more (I haven't figured out what x is yet!).

Is there a program that can test my memory card?

Thanks

Daven

shotokan101

Banned
Try connecting it up to your PC via a Card Reader and format it using windows and then right click on it - select "Properties" - "Tools" - "check Now" and then tick the box "SCan For and Attempt Recovery of BAd Sectors".

Jim

EDIT: - you can also download and try this :-

http://www.brothersoft.com/flash-format-79617.html

Last edited:

daven1986

Established Member
I did the tests and they said "no bad sectors" so perhaps some pictures just got corrupted...

It has happened twice but now I will check it over the next few days as I have just done a full format.

shotokan101

Banned
I did the tests and they said "no bad sectors" so perhaps some pictures just got corrupted...

It has happened twice but now I will check it over the next few days as I have just done a full format.

When you connect the card/camera to the PC for transfer I presume you always use the "remove media safely" icon ?

Jim

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
No, I have optimised it for quick removal.

I've never trusted that personally - I know it's supposed to work - but I'm a bit paranoid about "hot-swap" type technology (amongs a lot of other things :D) and always use the "safe route" and I've never had any media/file corruption issues with any of my external disk/usb-sticks/card-media etc. (touch wood) :)

Jim

daven1986

Established Member
Think it is sorted now. Took quite a few pictures - deleted some on the camera and browsed on the camera, put it in my computer and they are all ok!

shotokan101

Banned
Think it is sorted now. Took quite a few pictures - deleted some on the camera and browsed on the camera, put it in my computer and they are all ok!

Good News :thumbsup:

Jim

senu

Distinguished Member
Excellent
Make sure to always format the card in camera
Sometimes Camera doesnt like PC formatting

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom