1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compact digicam panasonic FX7 vs Sony W1 vs Canon S60

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by calllvin, Oct 11, 2004.

1. calllvin

calllvin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the make my decision for me thread is the most common but my head is spinning from reading reviews. If any of you have experience of these cameras or others then I'd be grateful for your help.

I have a Fuji 2400z which has been good - great for outdoor photos. It's poor at flash and indoor/poor light pics - rotten red eye and grainy.

Just got a new baby and hence excuse to get a new camera.

I want a little one as I know I wouldn't use a big one much. I want it to be good at the indoor/poor light/flash. I'm quite tempted by the Panasonic as I feel a leica lens has to be a good thing f2.8. Sony and Canon ought to do good lenses too. There seems to be a lot of anti-canon feeling in the reviews I've read but others love them.

I've just read a rave review of a new Ricoh (?Caplio R1) which may be a contender too but doesn't seem to be out yet.

Fergus

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s60-review/index.shtml
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s60.html
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S60/S60A.HTM
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons60/

The above 4 sites are the most well known and respected review sites out there. All of them speak very highly of the S60, in my opinion its the best compact on the market . You can add lenses to it it, already has wide angle 28mml lens.

Side by side next to the panasonic the stats speak for themself really
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...e&cameras=canon_s60,panasonic_dmcfx7&show=all

My friend has the sony and he's really pleased with it.

3. calllvin

calllvin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those pointers - Jessops are ordering in the panasonic for me to have a look at. I'm still swaying towards it because of its stabilisation thing, allowing slower shutter speeds. Is this as good as it sounds or is it a gimmic?

Fergus

4. sorbiegunner

sorbiegunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Based on on you using it....
    how often?
    for how long?
    to photograph what?
    under what conditions?
    Supplying that sort of information might help people decide how much weight to put on your opinion. A newcomer could almost be forgiven for thinking that given a choice of any range or type of camera you will recommend the Canon.

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Firstly you missed the part that said in my opinion

Well based on the features the camera has over the panasonic and many other compacts, the reviews it has had, the scope the camera has for a camera of that size Raw images wide angle 28mm lens, you can add lenses . There are some fantastic compacts out ther, but in my opinion its the best featured compact out there.

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Might be an idea if you gave some input if you have any rather then questing the advice i gave. I dont have a S60, I have a canon D20. I know enough about cameras to be able to spot a decent one. The question was which camera to go for and i chose the S60, and i'm pretty sure i would choose it over any other apart from the S70 but thats out of his budget

7. sorbiegunner

sorbiegunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ididn't previously give input to this 'which is the best camera' type thread, as, not having used them I don't know. I always sort of assumed that when people posted such threads they were looking from a bit of feedback from someone (more like themselves than professional reviewers) who has hands on experience of the camera (s) in question. If they wanted to know what had the better specs then what could be simpler than going to the recpective manufacturers web-site and printing off a spec sheet for comparison. This would allow them to decide which camera has the best specs to suit their own needs rather than going on the opinion of someone who may want total different things from a camera.
    For instance the person in question may be more likely to want portrait photos rather than landscape photos, in which case the 114mm (35mm equiv.) telephoto zoom on the sony would be more suitable than 100mm on the canon. Of course if landscapes were a bigger priority then the canon's 28mm would beat the sony's 38mm. All this assuming that if you want a small camera than you don't want to be carrying about a 2x converter with you.(since you cant buy alternative lenses for any of the cameras in question). Also would RAW format be a bonus to the average user of a compact camera, would he/she have the software or knowledge to be able to use a RAW file, I would expect someone who wanted that amount of control over the format conversion to want an equal amount of control over the image capture process and hence be an experienced dSLR user. In which case they are unlikely to be seeking 'what to buy' advice on this forum.
    Of course that is my opinion I could be wrong.

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats not the route he took, he asked for advce on what would be a good choice for him of people like you and i that know a little about cameras. Like all things its subjective. The S60 at more or less the same price as the panasonic but it has much more scope for when he becomes more advanced. Surley its always better to choose a camera that has a wider scope and will mean less need to upgrade in the future.

He can add lenses (via a converter i know), it as shutter priority aperture priority
    it has an opitcal viewfinder the panasonic has none (thats not good)

It just is the better buy out the 2 its obvious

9. calllvin

calllvin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having asked for your advice I've gone completely against it :blush: . I've bought the panasonic FX7 (£275 Jessops). I was seduced by its neatness and quality feel. You're right that the Canon is the better camera but I felt it was too bulky for me. I liked the Sony in that it had most of the features of the Canon but was small and had a nice screen, however it felt a bit too plasticky.

On writing them down my reasoning seems very superficial but, although I understand what to do with the manual modes I felt I would rarely use them as it's really for quick snapshots. You do get a degree of control with the scene modes.

I've not had much of a chance to play yet but the stabilisation really does seem to work. I'll let you know how I get on

Fergus

10. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whats important mate is that you enjoy the camera. Now enter the comp the theme is "home" this month:)

11. calllvin

calllvin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I've had the Panasonic FX7 for a few weeks now so I thought I'd let you know how I've got on as there aren't many reviews.

It's a small, classy looking camera in the style of the IXUS - It's a bit wider but thinner than Ixus. It is really designed as a point and shoot camera, albeit with a Leica branded lens. It has 5mp and a 3x zoom of the standard 35-105 variety. It has no viewfinder, either optical or electronic so it's just as well it has a fairly clear 2.5inch LCD which is good in sunlight and can be boosted for dark conditions.

In use it has been good. One of the reasons I got it was the optical image stabiliser but I've not really got round to testing it. I think it works as I have been able to take fairly sharp photos at 1/8s. It's not brilliant indoors - the auto white balance isn't great but it's easy to set manually. Flash seems to be very sensitive to the distance you are from your subject and can be too bright at standard wideangle kiddie snapshot distance. Red-eye is as with all compacts poorly controlled.

It lacks manual options, although as the aperture only has 2 settings you can effectively get Ap by using portrait mode f2.8 or landscape mode f5.6 and you do get an option to chose the slowest shutter speed it can choose.

Noise is quite obvious at iso 400 or 200 but good at 100 or 80 so I leave it on 100 rather than auto. Macro mode is good with a lot of detail. Autofocus has several modes and has been good even in dark conditions, although I haven't really worked out the best use of the various modes.

I got a 256mb fast SD card from ebuyer for £20 (which I think must have been a mistake as it's now £35) which holds plenty of full size pics.

When I first got it and started playing with it I thought I had made a mistake and should have got the sony for it's manual features but now that I've got used to it I'm happy. Problem is I'm now re-enthused about photography I want a DSLR!

Fergus

12. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My first digital camera was the sony FD73. It took floppy discs, it was huge and looking back it took bad photos, but it was good for the time and i loved it. Then i sold it, and i had no camera for some time. Year last july i bought an ixus 400, kept it a year then i bought a canon S1 july gone. Then i bought a Canon D20 about 3 weeks ago and its just out of this world. Loads to learn, which is what i wanted