• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Compact Camera's and RAW!

the id

I seem to of hit an impasse with my quest for a new Compact Camera to partner my DSLR.
My two short listed choices seem to have various problems with which programs are compatible.

Panasonic LX3 (SilkyPix included with camera, is this a compromise product as there seems to be little choice with other software).
Canon G9 (I have Adobe CS2 and will not be able to open the Canon's RAW files using this program).

Any help and views on solutions (if there are any) to my confusion would be appreciated.

War

I honestly thought this would be a simple decision but it seems there's a small spanner in the works. :rolleyes:

War

Maybe I should just go and buy the LX3 and be happy with the jpeg's.:)

tryingtimes

The workaround for the G9 is the same as I was using the 40D for a while. You need the free DNG converter. It converts the RAWs to DNGs, which CS2 can use.
I don't know whether the LX3 will be added to the convertor soon or not, but it would seem likely.

the id

The workaround for the G9 is the same as I was using the 40D for a while. You need the free DNG converter. It converts the RAWs to DNGs, which CS2 can use.
I don't know whether the LX3 will be added to the convertor soon or not, but it would seem likely.

Cheers mate, solves the problem with the G9 Raw manipulation.;)

Anyone used SilkyPix and care to comment on the software. :)

War

Ikki

Silkypix can deliver great results but you have to get used to the interface. Most see ACR as some sort of holy grail despite the fact that it doesn't always deliver the best results (talk to Sony A700 users).

There are an increasing number of other choices. The latest version of Dcraw handles LX3 raw files. Many raw processing apps use some or all of Dcraw to process the raw file, so they should do the job if up to date.

Try

RawDrop V1.10 (just replace Dcraw with the latest version)

RawDrop: RAWDrop - Frontend for dcraw

Dcraw executable: Pukkita's Digital Darkroom Corner

MEGUI (a lot more sophisticated)

Translated version of http://es.geocities.com/meiker10/

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom