Compact camera recommendations?

Ahhh, okay, I see. So in other words, if I'm happy with the effective focal reach of my EM10 (lens is 14-42mm, so based on what I've understood from your explanation that should be 28-44m in an equivalent 35mm full frame camera), a camera like one of the earlier model RX100s or Canon G7Xs should be okay for me after all, at least as far as reach goes. Is that right? :)

Ahhh, okay, I see. So in other words, if I'm happy with the effective focal reach of my EM10 (lens is 14-42mm, so based on what I've understood from your explanation that should be 28-44m in an equivalent 35mm full frame camera), a camera like one of the earlier model RX100s or Canon G7Xs should be okay for me after all, at least as far as reach goes. Is that right? :)
Not quite it’s 28-84mm not 28-44mm, so if you’re happy with that then the early RX100/G7x models will indeed be enough as they actually have longer reach than your EM10 with 14-42mm lens.

The G7x might be the better choice over the RX100 mark I and II as it has a brighter lens being f1.8-2.8 vs f1.8-4.9 on the Sonys, this means at the tele end the Canon will let in over twice as much light.

Not quite it’s 28-84mm not 28-44mm, so if you’re happy with that then the early RX100/G7x models will indeed be enough as they actually have longer reach than your EM10 with 14-42mm lens.

The G7x might be the better choice over the RX100 mark I and II as it has a brighter lens being f1.8-2.8 vs f1.8-4.9 on the Sonys, this means at the tele end the Canon will let in over twice as much light.
Whoops, yes, 84mm is what I meant to put there!

Okay, duly noted. Thanks for all the info!

I think RX100 mk3 onward are also 2.8 at the long end though, you’ll pay a bit more obviously. In the side by side comparisons I’ve seen I prefer images from the Sony over the Canon (maybe moot if you’re into editing), but their menu system is terrible for me, much prefer Canon in that respect.

I think RX100 mk3 onward are also 2.8 at the long end though, you’ll pay a bit more obviously. In the side by side comparisons I’ve seen I prefer images from the Sony over the Canon (maybe moot if you’re into editing), but their menu system is terrible for me, much prefer Canon in that respect.
It is but I think the OP was looking at the earlier ones due to price, plus the RX100 mk3 is ‘only’ 70mm equivalent at the tele end so loses out on 35mm reach compared to the G7x :smashin:

I’m also looking for a compact camera for an upcoming cruise. I don’t fancy leaning over the side of a ship with my phone.
I thought it was going to be easy but finding the right one has become more difficult than I expected and even when you find the one that you want you then need to find where you can buy it.
Things have changed considerably since I bought my last compact camera (Sony DSC-T700).
Looking at the John Lewis site, about 60% are out of stock. I don’t know if this is down to lack of demand or problems with production.

Last edited:
I’m also looking for a compact camera for an upcoming cruise. I don’t fancy leaning over the side of a ship with my phone.
I thought it was going to be easy but finding the right one has become more difficult than I expected.
Things have changed considerably since I bought my last compact camera (Sony DSC-T700).
Looking at the John Lewis site, about 60% are out of stock. I don’t know if this is down to lack of demand or problems with production.
Some of it is down to lack of chips I believe.

This is a long shot but I wonder if anybody here has a Sony HX99 and an iPad.
I'm currently looking at buying one but I’m concerned about the movie compatibility. Models below and above the HX99 appear to have MPEG-4 movie mode which I know can be be transferred to an iPad using the Apple Camera kit cable or wi-fi but for some reason, this camera doesn’t.
It has XAVCS and AVCHD.
I believe that AVCHD cannot be imported into an iPad but can XAVCS be imported seamlessly in the same way as MPEG-4 files can?

This is a long shot but I wonder if anybody here has a Sony HX99 and an iPad.
I'm currently looking at buying one but I’m concerned about the movie compatibility. Models below and above the HX99 appear to have MPEG-4 movie mode which I know can be be transferred to an iPad using the Apple Camera kit cable or wi-fi but for some reason, this camera doesn’t.
It has XAVCS and AVCHD.
I believe that AVCHD cannot be imported into an iPad but can XAVCS be imported seamlessly in the same way as MPEG-4 files can?
Maybe this will help?

Or maybe convert the videos on a computer and then transfer across?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom