compact camera for £500 maximum

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by djdhrubs, Feb 15, 2014.

1. djdhrubs

djdhrubs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,096
    Hoping to get some advice. My wife would like a compact camera with greater than or equal to 20x optical zoom, wide angle less than or equal to 25mm, a big sensor. All for less than £500.

Ideally amongst Panasonic, Canon or Sony as brands.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

2. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,955
    What do you class a a big sensor? Large zooms and big sensors don't tend to go together. I've not looked but I doubt whether you could get a 20+ zoom with a sensor bigger than 2/3".

3. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,572
    I think we'd all like one of those - with raw shooting it would sell like hotcakes ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Any particular reason for needing a mega zoom? I had a Fuji bridge camera with the 35mm equivalent of a 700mm lens. Any images taken at that length were uniformly crap as it was virtually impossible to hold it steady. And overall image quality wasn't great. So if you want it for sports or bird photographt I'd discount it as they are really not up to the job.

I found that90% of my shots were taken much lower than that. Probably in the 24-200mm range max.

For great image quality the Sony RX100 is excellent as the sensor is more than double the size of a standard compact. And it's properly pocket sized.

Canon G1X. Soon to be superceded so will be discounted. Biggest sensor than you'll find on a compact. But AF is not reckoned to be too hot, but image quality is excellent.

The Panasonic FZ200 is a full sized bridge camera with the zoom range you're looking for and well within budget. But this has a smaller sensor, so ultimate image quality won't be as good. But if you REALLY need the zoom then this is the one to go for.

But I would also consider one of the compact system cameras like the Sony Nex, Olympus PEN or Panasonic. Compact in size but with DSLR image quality.

Depends really on what compromise she wants to make. I always thought a mega zoom would be dead useful. But ultimately it never was...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. djdhrubs

djdhrubs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,096
    Thanks for all your help everyone. I'll feed this back to my wife. I don't myself know the answers to your questions, or even what you're talking about but hopefully she will!

:)

6. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,572
    Regarding the bridge camera option - just note that they don't tend to be particularly "compact" - probably similar in size to a small DSLR :)