Compacks DVD 5000/Cambridge Audio 55 problems?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by one_jedi, Jun 19, 2003.

1. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    These machines are supposed to be the same so I include them in the same post, not sure exactly what the Cambridge one is called tho.

Anyway I know someone with the Compacks and it is genearlly great. However when playing the matrix there are a few problems. Basically every now and again it stops for about a second, it does this about 3 times during the movie for no apparent reason. The DVD itself is actually really mucked up, on some older players when you got to the last few chapters most of the screen would go blocky and there would be loads of pixcelletion. The Compacks plays this fine, no artefacts or problems like this at all, however just the stops which don't appear on the player that couldn't play the end chapters.

This doesn't seem to happen on other DVD's used on the Compacks so I was just wondering if anyoen else has one of these machines has the problem or not or if it is just the DVD itself.? The Compacks seems to be great a reading all types disks so is it possible that the player is actully reading the disc better and picking up the faults in the dvd that older players just miss?

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed drop-outs during the non-seamless branching on the X-men DVD, they did seam a little worse than on my Tosh210 but then that used to freeze for a couple of seconds whilst branching , whilst the compaks is instant.

IIRC the problem with the matrix is that it uses seamless branching to jump over the white rabbit extra scenes when watching the film normally, so it would be interesting to see if the drop-outs coincide with 'white rabbits' :)

I will try my old R1 T2 ultiimate edition which also uses seamless branching and see if I get dropouts when it branches...

-- Jon

PS Sampo expert clayts whilst talking over on the DVDforums seems fairly sure that the CA and the Compaks are not in fact the same machine, they just happen to share the same generic Chinese box :)

3. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Some people have had problems when the machine is set to "multi" to automatically detect the disc format. Instead, try setting it manually to PAL or NTSC.

I've just bought a Compacks, and I haven't had any problems so far. Its a bargain for £49!

Chris

4. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got an R2 Matrix? how does yours play? also when the player is set to NTSC are films slightly streched upwards? I noticed on mine that the widescreen films have slightly smaller black borders at the top, only slightly tho! dunno if it's my TV!.

5. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have got R2 Matrix, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'll give it a go this weekend if I've got time.

I don't have any NTSC discs, so I've got my player set to PAL. The picture centring seems fine to me, although I have had some problems with widescreen switching (see my post in this forum....)

Chris

Chris

6. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, one bit I know where there is a stop is near the end when Neo and Smith first fight, just after the bullet time where they spin round and fire. As Agent smith gets up it stops there. Also I tried it on with the white rabbit feature on and the stops were not there. one of the stops appears to be near the 'white rabbits' but not exactly on it or when the rabbit first appears or anything like that?

Also If anyone has any other problems I'd like to know. Also if anyone knows of any other disc that use seamless branching or anything like that or any discs that are supposed to be problematic i would like to know as I intend to give the player a good testing to see if I want to keep it and can tell my findings in case anyone is considering buying one. It would be good to also hear if anyone could try a R1 or R4 on the player.