Compack DVD5000 NTSC/Pal Prog Scan £50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jtorry, Jun 9, 2003.

1. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone got hold of this player that is available at safeways for only £50? People are raving about in on the DVDForums but wanted to see what people on here thought. People say it has both pal and NTSC progressive scan and is very good. I was just after a more informed opinion from an AVForums user. Below is a link to the manufacturers but has very little info. Apparantly is uses the The Zoran Vaddis V chip.

http://www.wwrs.compacks.com/newsletter/dp_5000.htm

2. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bought one over the weekend for £50 from Safeway, tried the pal progressive and it reports a 575P signal on my Z1 but the picture has a shadow to it and is fuzzy compared to interlace. Thought it was to good to be true and it is, will be taking it back today.

For curiosity I opened it up to look at the chips, no mention of Zoran just ISSI & a couple of chips with a large M on them?

What Video mention this month that a new JVC machine is coming out with PAL and NSTC progressive for £130.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
  4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Does this player suffer from lipsinc problems on pal progressive playback?
    Has anyone done the opening scene test from Star Trek Insurrection to see how it handles the shimmering on the roof tops with a projector like the Panasonic AE100.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Got myself one of these Today, but with the same results as timlloyd.

I just did the Star Trek Insurrection test R2 it passed with flying colours with the shimmering and jaggies in the opening scene, BUT! the picture suffered from ghosting in progressive scan on my AE100 it also did this on The Scorpion King R1.
    And the picture had lines accross the screen in interlaced on the AE100, I also dont think the contrast looked quite as good as my Toshiba sd-510 in progressive scan.
    I guess I will have to wait a while longer for a decent progressive player, you gets what you pays for its back to Safeway Tomorrow.

P.S i used good quality componant cables by Vanne Damme which look great with my Toshiba player