Commuter cycling & dealing with rain

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by sergiup, Jul 31, 2012.

1. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    Hi there,
    I used to cycle to work pretty much every day about a couple of years ago (around 10 miles each way), that was on a Trek 4300 Disc. For various reasons, last year fell apart a bit, and this year hasn't gone quite according to plan either but it is coming back.

However, it really does seem like this year has been a lot wetter in the morning/evening than before, making it a bit more annoying than before to cycle around and definitely not helping with the motivation (less of an issue really).

So my question is, what do you guys (and gals) recommend for waterproofing yourself on two self-powered wheels? I've got an Altura Night Vision jacket, shoe covers and a helmet cover (don't laugh, it looks ridiculous but does help), and I always find myself sweating too much when putting the jacket on. I realise it's impossible to get something very light, breathable and also waterproof but I'm sure there's something better out there. I don't really care about legs to be honest unless it's particularly cold, in which case I'll have waterproofs on anyway.

So I guess I'm mostly just looking for a very light, breathable yet as waterproof as possible jacket - any suggestions please? Under £60 would be nice.. Thank you!

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    It depends where you look, I use a Rab Demand and it has been fine so far. Not exactly a cycling jacket but it works well as one.

I have used it a few times in the summer over my cycle top and i have not noticed any additional sweating it just kept me dry. My previous jacket wasn't worth wearing as i was as wet on the inside as i was the outside after a cycle.
    The hood can go over your helmet if very wet. The back is long so goes over the shorts quite well, and it has a draw string to pull tighter if needed. Also fully taped zips. It is not a flexible fabric though so fitting is a must if you are going to put a bulky winter top underneath. I don't know what they retail at as i am lucky to work near to the Rab factory shop.

3. lead

lead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I gave up trying to keep dry a long time ago. A waterproof jacket will just increase sweating. So you end up just as wet. Highly breathable isn't waterproof enough, so you end up just as wet.

I shower when I get to work and shower when I get home. I've resigned myself to getting wet when it rains. :)

If I'm cold I just cycle quicker. ;-)

4. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    That's the way I'm tending now to be honest, since I always shower when I get to work anyway (and a lot of the time when I get home too, depends on how sweaty I get). It's more psychological than anything else, this is the reason why I try to keep my head dry - it helps me feel less wet; that and maybe the shoe covers (squish-squish shoes feel annoying), and the rest I'll just have to deal with. Thanks!

5. robhullfury

robhullfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I just pedal quicker it gives me the feeling that im drying off haha.