• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Community Credit Schemes?

nheather

Distinguished Member
Anyone here know much about these community\group credit schemes.

I have a £130K mortgage which is tracking at base + 1%, so I'm paying 1.5% interest.

Well I would be apart from the fact that it is an offset account. I have paid off a lot of the mortgage, have about £25K left and have a lot more savings than this so I'm not paying any interest at all.

The way the account works, I can increase my loan upto the original £130K at the touch of a button - so great if I wanted to buy a car for example.

Would also be great if my children were ready to start University because I could fund this cheaper than a student loan. But that is 3 and 7 years off, so I expect the situation will have changed by then.

So it strikes me that I have

a) a load of savings earning very little interest
b) the potentional to take out an additional £100K at 1.5%

I've never been particularly adventurous nor savvy with investments so was wondering if anyone here has any (sensible) ideas of how I could make my money do some more work.

My wife and I both have full Cash ISAs which have been running for 4 years or so.

We don't feel comfortable investing in shares or precious metals.

How do these community\group credit schemes work?
Are they safe?
Is the money tied up for a long time?

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom