1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Communication with AV32RDP

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by derekn, Jul 3, 2005.

1. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I have a pc which will communicate with my AV but won't run the EQ Wizard (W98 and Soundcard issues) and a laptop which happily runs the Wizard but does not have a serial port. This leaves me with the tedious need to input filter settings by hand - and I'd like to try out a number of configurations to find the best for my setup.

I'm now trying my third usb-serial adapter, a Belkin F5U103. I've downloaded the XP drivers and all appears ok - the startup sequence of LEDs is as per the manual and in Device Manager the adapter is listed as COM6.

As a start I want to backup current settings. The backup utility (v 1.10) only lists COMs 1 to 4 so I can't set 6. If I set COM3 then the utility tells me that the serial port is open but when I try to backup - "ERROR: cannot communicate with AV device 1" appears.

I've checked connections and the AV32 is switched on. Sadly that's pretty well the limit of my ability. Any suggestions :lease:

Regards,

2. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You can buy a new PC for a couple of hundred quid and it'll be a beast - I had one made up last year with Atlon 3300+, Radeon graphics with 128MB, 512MB RAM, 80GB SATA disk, 5.1 sound 10/100 ethernet card etc and its remarkably stable. If you're still using something running W98, Derek, I think its about time you made the jump into this millennium, PC-wise. Software is so much better, performance is better, disk capacities are better and your chances of being able to run the EQ Wizard on it are so much better.

3. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks Edward, but I'm not really that sad :) ! This pc is a very fast P4 with 1012Mb RAM and some goodies which could make short work of Half Life 2 if I had the time and is the music centre for our study/play room.

I don't fancy disconnecting it very time I want to RoomEQ or upgrade. I've never managed to get the Laptop to talk to the AV32 so got the old Dell solely for use with my TAGs and the manual TMREQ was extremely successful.

The new wizard is fine on the laptop. I've tried variations and made my decision based on the graphs of "L plus R plus Sub" - Bass Limited with a 50Hz Crossover. It's just that it would be nice to set the filters and backup easily

Thanks anyway,