Communial aerial a problem?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by rich tee, Sep 19, 2003.

1. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My dearly beloved potential / future mother in law wants to get a freeview digi box for her tv.
    She has a communial aerial in the dwelling she inhabits.
    Does anyone know if this is an obstacle to her quest.

All the best
    Rich Tee.
    :rolleyes:

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never heard of "Communial". Are you sure it's not Triax or some other make?

An indoor aerial is never going to work as well as an outdoor one.

Anyway, simple answer is to borrow a Freeview box and try it. If it works, go out and buy an identical one. Or buy one on "sale or return". Some shops will let you do that.

But first, make sure her area can get Freeview by punching in her postcode here:
    http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

On the next page click on "more details" to see what's available from which transmitter.

Fman

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I think he means communal as in several people using (like in a block of flats). I had to use a communal aerial but the quality was terrible for normal terrestrial transmisions. Unfortunately we do not get freeview in my area so my only option was cable.
    I'd use the post code search first and like Fernsehman suggested try and borrow a box to see what the quality is like.
    Don't you need a different type of aerial to pick up digital transmitions though?

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It depends on how the communal system has been implemented.

For example, in my apartment building we have a system where the analogue channels are re-distributed around the building on different channel numbers.

A side effect of the way that the channels are distributed is that digital freeview signals are effectively blocked. At present if I connected a freeview box to my wallplate, I would get nothing.

Best approach is the try it and see what happens. If it works, great.

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Transmissions?

If the existing aerial works, it must be OK. If it doesn't, then, yes, you'll need to investigate what's suitable. Bear in mind that there's a wide variation in performance between Freeview receivers. For a weak signal area, those with a sensitive "setpal" tuner seem to be best but don't use these in a strong signal area without an attenuator.

Most people suggest investing in a "wideband" aerial if your existing aerial needs to be replaced for any reason. But it's pointless to do this just for the sake of it. Quite often you'll get a problem with the CABLE rather than the aerial. Always use the best double-shielded cable you can lay your hands on if you get the chance to replace it. Don't "spoil the ship.." for the sake of a few pennies.

Fman

6. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Brilliant replies.

We'll try them out.
    Regards
    Rich Tee.