Communal Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Astaroth, May 3, 2005.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hi there all,

Moving address and finally can go back to Sky after then 15months of forced NTL watching.

Looking in the flat there was a plate with 3 "ariel" like sockets and I was informed it was pre-wired for Sky.

I am aware that Sky wont 'install' in the property due to the fact it has a communial dish but I already have an old Sky box which I would like to initially use and will then upgrade to Sky+ if I find it already has the required 2 feeds.

My question is... with a communal dish do I have to contact Sky or the dish owners to get a new viewing card/subscribe again etc? If it is the 'dish owner' will sky know who they are as I am letting from a management company who acts for the landlord who leases from the freeholders and so it could take a while to follow the chain back if Sky wont know.

Many thanks

2. Badfeeling

Badfeeling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My understanding is that SKY will install to a communal Dish. Though if you have the Digi-Box already you might be able to install yourself or get a "moving home offer".
    You need to apply for your card yourself. The owners of the communal dish should probably be informed that you are using it.
    My understanding is that it is only where there is a fault with the Dish or input connection cabling that the Dish owners should get more involved. ie If it is a faulty dish then it is the owners responsibility to either fix it or pay for it to be fixed.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I assume the supply of the sat feed is part of your housing agreement so it's active and therefore no further need to contact the people who admin it.
    So if you supply your own hardware then just contact SKY to get a "second hand contract" which doesn't come with the phone requirment and then marry it to the digibox and you are away.
    Same with a non SKY sourced SKY+ IF you do indeed already have two existing independent LNB feeds, if you don't then there may be some payment to enable a second feed which would go the the operators of the communal system.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I do not know if they are active or not yet - the property is only 6 months old and as I say where the TV goes there was a wall plate with 3 'sockets'. The current tenant only had a 14" TV in the bedroom with an internal arial and none in the lounge where the plate was so dont know if it is "active" or not - presumably to activate it it would just be a case of the owner flicking a switch and probably charging £50 for it?

I thought that the contract was different with communal dishes as in you pay something/all to the owner to cover the maintainance of the dish/cables etc but I guess this may be included in the general ground rent the Landlord pays which covers the cleaning of communial areas etc

5. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    As i understand it there should be nothing additional to pay to 'use' the service and any service / support cost should be built into the ground rent and paid by the landlord.

Communal dish systems are the older description for the systems and are now commonly reffered to as IRS systems which is why you have the triplexer outlet offering you the three 'tv' outlets.

You don't say if you have a fourth outlet in the plate, which would be a return to be able to feed the RF2 output of the sky box back to the rest of the property.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Why does technical words and acroyns always instill confidence?

I am fairly sure it only had 3 sockets on the plate - my current flat didnt have an arial or sky when I moved in but did have a previous NTL installation and the landlord said I had to use that. So when I was looking arround the new flat I wanted to see what it had in connection with TV source and noticed the plate where the TV would be in the lounge. Asking the letting agents they said it was wired for Sky but didnt know anything more than that. The building was only put up 6 months ago so I would imagine it is a fairly modern setup.