Communal Satellite Dish

petetobin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I live in an old house converted into 5 flats. At the moment we have four small dishes tucked away on our roof. Could we replace the existing dishes with one big dish with multiple feeds. It would be neater and I hope with a bigger dish we would be less effected by the weather. I don't want to spend the earth, ideally I would like to keep the existing cables.

Pete

One dish could supply up to eight feeds with an octo LNB and more with a quattro LNB and a multiswitch.

Thanks. Do I need a bigger or different dish? I assume a bigger dish would help with the rain issues. Think I would want 16 feeds to support two Sky+ in each flat.

Last edited:
I meant Sky+ type setups. I have Sky+ and Freesat (HDS-600RS). Ok to post here?

If you want 16 feeds yoy need a quatro LNB and multiswitch. Quatro LNBs are not made for Sky dishes so you would need to get a standard dish. I would suggest a 60cm or 80cm up north/Scotland/NI.

And please don't post the same question in 2 different forums unless you don't get any answers in one.

Last edited:
Only posted once I think but one of the Mods was questioning if it was in the right forum. Sorry if I have done anything wrong.

Ok get it now. Posted on Digital Spy by mistake as I meant to post here. Thanks for all the help anyway.

winston2010 said:
No, you posted twice, both on here and on Digital Spy. Apology accepted however.:)

Why is there an issue with posting on a completely different forum with a potentially different user base?

In that situation most use a multiswitch plus DTV & DAB/FM & maybe a local RF channel (CCTV etc.) can be added into the feeds & split at the media plates ... then a bigger dish is used, more to compensate for system noise.

As it is now you don't need (earth) bonding - once you change to a single dish (or 2) you do, so you should factor in the costs of that.

Sorry if I have done anything wrong.

You haven't, do what you like.... :D Your free to post on as many different sites as you like and Winston2010 has no control over this.

There are several satellite forums out there and you should be looking around for different opinions.

I meant Sky+ type setups. I have Sky+ and Freesat (HDS-600RS). Ok to post here?
OK then - we'll make it the Sky sub-forum.:thumbsup:
You're fine to post on as many forums as you like and have nothing to apologise for.
I should have mentioned that if you need the quattro LNB that will need a large dish.
As Pedro says you would then have additional options if you wanted them.

Why is there an issue with posting on a completely different forum with a potentially different user base?
There isn't.

.... ideally I would like to keep the existing cables.

How many cables do you have now?

How many cables into each room, now?

How many cables into how many rooms in the future?

I have 4 cables running from a quad lnb attached to a 60cm dish. Ok most of the time but breaks up badly in bad weather (we are on Hove seafront). All the other flats have quad lnbs but only two are cabled so I suspect they only have one Sky+ box but the flats are big so they may want to go to multi-room in the future. I can't get power up to the roof for a multi-switch so I suspect we may need to stay as is or go down to two dishes with octo lnbs?

Last edited:
The quattro has four outputs just like a quad, and those go down to the multiswitch which is wherever you want it.
Two dishes each with an octo would add a lot of extra cabling!

Just to add that what you are proposing, if professionally installed, is not going to be cheap.

Pedro can probably give you some idea, to see if it's affordable.

Of course, if you live on Hove seafront... ;)

Good luck. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom