Communal Sat dish set up

Panamajack

Standard Member
Hi everyone.
I live in Panama, Central America and I wish to set up a communal sat TV system in our small complex. I currently have an FTA dish but I understand I can distribute the dish signal for use on various boxes. How can I do this---inexpensively?
I had one guy (Sat system eng.) provide a great deal of info along with a great big price. It seems to me that I should be able to send the dish signal down a co-ax cable into an FTA receiver in each unit. Am I on the right track?
Cheers,
Jack

fernandez

Panamajack

Standard Member
Good morning Fernandez,
Thanks for the speedy response and advice. Is there a site where I may see a "layman's" sketch of an installation?
Also, can you recommend a receiver. I am currently using a CaptiveWorks Ultima. A big problem with it is the time required for update bins (from internet) after the signal is scrambled. Is there a better box? Unfortunately I have a ton of questions and don't wish to bore you. I look forward to your reply.
Cheers, Jack
PS--FYI---I am currently using the Amazonas 61W sat. we get Eng. and Spanish programming.

pedro2000uk

Which channels on 61w, how big is your dish & how many rooms/ boxes do you want satellite to go to...

Panamajack

Standard Member
Which channels on 61w, how big is your dish & how many rooms/ boxes do you want satellite to go to...
Hi--we get a large number of channels such as CNN International, ESPN, PPV, Playboy,movie channel, universal, etc. Some in English some in Spanish. Our current dish is approximately 1 meter but only a single output LNB so this would have to be changed. I wish to distribute the signal to a minimum of 10 units. Each unit is to have the full capability of viewing any of the sat signals.

fernandez

Just in case anyone wondered about the receiver the OP is using
CaptiveWorks Ultima, Captive Works Ultima, CW-Ultima FTA Receiver

As it's an FTA receiver I don't understand "A big problem with it is the time required for update bins (from internet) after the signal is scrambled."

EDIT: Your last post mentions PPV, ESPN etc. and any discussion on obtaining pay channels without subscription is not allowed on here.

Last edited:

Panamajack

Standard Member
While we don't go after subscription channels--they are there. Recently PPV and Playboy have gone from our list (no big concern). We originally bought the sat system from our internet equipment provider. Our concern now is I do not wish to have a multitude of dishes on the buildings as more of our people are asking about TV. In our area we don not have cable or even telephone lines. I actually had to build and install a 100 foot tower just so we could have internet.

davemurgatroyd2

Just in case anyone wondered about the receiver the OP is using
CaptiveWorks Ultima, Captive Works Ultima, CW-Ultima FTA Receiver

As it's an FTA receiver I don't understand "A big problem with it is the time required for update bins (from internet) after the signal is scrambled."

EDIT: Your last post mentions PPV, ESPN etc. and any discussion on obtaining pay channels without subscription is not allowed on here.
In the Americas FTA receiver tends to have different connotations to its use in Europe. It often indicates a receiver that can be "patched" to decode encryted channels without a subscription - hence the need for new "bin files" to provide the latest keys.

pedro2000uk

Once he mentioned bin files I thought everyone would get that ...

As far as we are concerned it's a FTA receiver - what you do with it is up to you ..

Anyway- the dish size of 1m - is the signal very good on the 1m or average or low- (hard to tell on the footprints for 61w as there are a few and some put you on the edge or outside (Brazil is one for example)

The reason why I ask is that using a multiswitch usually causes some loss & noise which we install a larger dish than normal to compensate for here.

Fenandez is right for you to use a Quattro LNB & then the 4 coax cables are then fed to a multiswitch (each is marked on the LNB & multiswitch) ... you want 10 outputs so choose a multiswitch to cover that (12 or 16 I think)

Each output then acts like one dish/ lnb output on 61w.

You could use that 1m dish and if the signals are too low then increase it.

The only other way is to have an Octo lnb on the 1m & add another dish with a quad or octo - that will also give 12 or 16 outputs to cover for your 10.

Last edited:

Panamajack

Standard Member
In our case of signal distribution to a minimum of 10 units then--what would you suggest equipment wise. As I mentioned originally, an engineer had fiber optics, special angled green connectors (whatever in hell they are) amplifiers etc etc and a huge cost but I believe there is a more realistic and less costly method.
Jack

pedro2000uk

Not sure if we would know brand names available there - for the stuff we use Google... GLobal Invacom ... Antiference... Triax .. Labgear ...

better still google multiswitch & quattro LNB

Fibre Optics is a nice system -

Panamajack

Standard Member
Wow--fast response--I love it.
The sat is Brazil based (lots of Portuguese channels). Based on your recommendations where would you suggest I purchase the equipment necessary and where can I find a sketch to show the install. I must admit--as if it hasn't been obvious, I have little knowledge of the terminologies used for this equipment. I do however possess a good knowledge of systems and their install/maintenance. A quick study--if you will--once I know the logic behind the set up!
Hope I'm not being a pain in the butt with my mundane questions but no one else has seemed to be able or want to help.
Cheers,
Jack

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

MartinPickering

I suspect that central America doesn't normally use a "universal" LNB and, therefore, any information about "Quattro" LNBs and "multiswitches" is merely going to confuse. Better to get the information from a local forum.

logiciel

You're welcome in AVF Jack, and your questions are exotic rather than "mundane"!
I agree with MP though that a more localised forum would be better able to advise you.

pedro2000uk

I suspect that central America doesn't normally use a "universal" LNB and, therefore, any information about "Quattro" LNBs and "multiswitches" is merely going to confuse. Better to get the information from a local forum.
There is an issue of slightly different systems used locally that you should make sure it is the correct one & will work 100% there - they are very similar (on 61w) & should the beams be aimed here we would have no problem on our equipment including using multiswitches & quattro LNBs in receiving them all. But keeping it compatible there can be important if some receivers don't allow you to choose a different setting for the LNB.

Panamajack

Standard Member
Hi, to all and thanks for the help. As far as accessing a local forum in two words--forget it!
All of our equipment is brought in from the States. Anything that we purchase would also be purchased in the U.S. Shipping etc kills us here as it is slow and expensive. I guess life in paradise has it's downside too!
I notice that the UK seems to have an extraordinary amount of "sat stuff" available at least on the internet searches. Two questions--(1) why and (2) would I be better to purchase the equipment there as opposed to the U.S.? What would I need to be aware of in equipment differences i.e compatibility etc.
Thanks again :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Jack

pedro2000uk

Hi, to all and thanks for the help. As far as accessing a local forum in two words--forget it!
All of our equipment is brought in from the States. Anything that we purchase would also be purchased in the U.S. Shipping etc kills us here as it is slow and expensive. I guess life in paradise has it's downside too!
I notice that the UK seems to have an extraordinary amount of "sat stuff" available at least on the internet searches. Two questions--(1) why and (2) would I be better to purchase the equipment there as opposed to the U.S.? What would I need to be aware of in equipment differences i.e compatibility etc.
Thanks again :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Jack

Can you access the LNB settings in the setup menu in the receiver and report back - that would help ... you should see LNB frequency possibly given as either 9750 / 10600 (Universal as it is UK/ Europe) or 9750 / 10750 called I think Wideband for the US. or whatever it is if different from either ..

Don't know why satellite seems to be more popular here- there has been a boom in motorised satellite here recently - maybe the US is dominated by a few large companies ? Mind you it is here by one = sky (fox).....

It used to be thought of as the other way round- the US was bigger in sat than here.

logiciel

The US is a lot more local to Panama than the UK and there must be forums where the users have direct experience of the sort of equipment you need which will probably come from China anyway.
However you're very welcome to whatever the guys here can tell you.

fernandez

Looking at this
Amazonas 1/2 at 61.0°W - LyngSat

the transponders at 61W are either H or V polarised so, it would seem, that a quattro LNB/Multiswitch would/may do what the OP asks and that the LNB setting would be 'Universal'

It also seems that the majority of channels are encrypted

Looking at this
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=CAPTIVEWORKS+ULTIMA

The meaning of the term FTA certainly does mean something entirely different in the US to that used here, as davemurgatroyd2 points out

Last edited:
Top Bottom