1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Communal Dish Installation?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by AllanT, Jul 2, 2005.

1. AllanT

AllanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have moved into a flat in a conservation area without a dish, and have taken it on myself to organise a communal dish for 12 flats. Who are the best people to install such a dish and what are the sort of costs involved taking into account Sky won't do it due to it being above 30ft and they would have to contend with sloping tiles to run the cable?

2. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's got nothing to do with height or sloping tiles. Sky do not do communal systems, period. You will have to find a local independant installer who is prepared to fit a dish and the associated feeds and distribution systems to the flats. You will also need the written permission of the freeholder. Start saving, it will cost you a packet.

3. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you use a local independent then make sure they are CAI registered as this gives you a certain level of protection.

http://www.cai.org.uk

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    You will need to check with the freeholder of the property/ their management company if they mind it being fitted and who (a) will pay for it to be installed (b) will pay for any repairs/maintance

As others have said - you need to contact a local company as Sky do not get involved in these things once you have approval - it can be very expensive. If the freeholder takes over the maintance of the equipment then they may want to increase the service charges to reflect this and put additional charges on changes to the equipment - I knew a friend who leased a property and the freeholder charged £100 to turn the feed on to a property (so if you wanted Sky+ it would be £200) plus £10 a month rental per line.

5. hog

hog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi
    i think a rough price would be around £3000 mark for a cai installer to do it , although the price tends to vary a little area to area. hth .cheers