communal aerials

claire

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

My sister has just bought her first flat and we have uncovered that there is no working aerial in it. She does not want Sky or Virgin at this point.

What we uncovered was that their seemed to be a communal aerial point in the wall but she is receiving no signal from it when we try to use the a black aerial lead and input it into her tv which has built in freeview.

Is there anyway to get television without using a subscription service ? Is she able to phone a company and get one installed on the roof and down into her house etc?

Thanks for any help.

is there a socket on the lounge that comes from a wall plate?

if you cannot get a signal then i would ring the management company up and ask them about it - these types of issues should be what your sis pays a service charge for (providing it is a communal aerial system that has been installed across all flats)

Yes that is exactly what it is. I will let her know thanks. She has yet to get to know any of the neighbours to see how they watch tv. Although I assume quite a high population nowadays would be sky/virgin etc.

This aspect should have been covered by the Solicitor or Conveyancer working for your sister in the questions asked of the seller. i.e. the services connected / supplied. (Water, gas , electric, sewerage, phone etc.,.) as would the leasehold terms, management fees, what was and was not included. [if they were competent]. Of course she may or may not have read and understood such information packs?

Check in cupboards and services areas of the flat for coax type cables, as there may be a powered in-line unit that has been switched off when the previous owners left the flat.

The largest population still watch terrestrial free to view TV as far as I know through an aerial in one way or another.

Other things that may matter is how many in the block of flats? Communal aerials are seldom found in flats that are house conversions to 2 or 3 units... but are commonplace in large blocks. Rough location area may help - and where she has moved from... She has re-tuned the TV on the new connection?

What we uncovered was that their seemed to be a communal aerial point in the wall but she is receiving no signal from it when we try to use the a black aerial lead and input it into her tv which has built in freeview

No one has asked yet and you haven't mentioned it...has she tried going through the tuning/setup procedure on her Tv?

Another possibility. If she has a satellite dish input, she can get a "freesat" HD box for under ÂŁ50 which will give her access to almost all the channels on Freeview and then some. freesat and the associated version with an integrated catchup service called "free time" from Humax are subscription free.

No one has asked yet and you haven't mentioned it...has she tried going through the tuning/setup procedure on her Tv?
Errmm in the last sentence of my post 8 mins before your one I did mention that.
Another possibility. If she has a satellite dish input, <snip>
Errmmm post#1 asks about having an aerial or dish installed so one might assume there is no such outlet?

NB @The OP: Installing your own aerial which would not usually be possible on a (largeish) block of flats due to Planning Laws (or need to obtain planning consents for any additional aerials and dishes) and also the Freeholder / Building Management Agent / Factor approvals issues.

(A proper communal aerial system might have such an outlet, of course, so a picture of the wallplate in the flat might help us to determine that.)?

Thanks for all the information guys. She is going to phone the agency she dealt with in regards to the sale of the house to see if they can do anything.

I just thought it was a matter of plug , play , tune (which we tried) never realised there could be a main power switch too it so will also have a look out for that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom