Common Gym Mistakes and Simple Solutions to them

Now that was quite inspirational i must say. But who is willing to read such a long DO's and DONT's. U could have made it short and easy , well even i read some of the tips to get slim and i must say IT really did work out for me. Possibly, you have simply had a child and need to get your pre-pregnancy figure back. Check out me with my friends after following the regime
june4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice, can I have your tel number..? :D

Now that was quite inspirational i must say. But who is willing to read such a long DO's and DONT's. U could have made it short and easy , well even i read some of the tips to get slim and i must say IT really did work out for me. Possibly, you have simply had a child and need to get your pre-pregnancy figure back. Check out me with my friends after following the regime
june4.jpg

I generally find the people that want to transform their bodies, and succeed are the ones that go the extra mile.

Well done on your own transformation/maintenance. :)

Some great tips here on deadlifting:

I've very similar physique (less muscle) to the the guy doing here and it does worries me watching these squats deads vids as I definitely don't want to look like one :p. How do you describe the guy there- is he fat? overweight? muscular??

On deadlifting, I've found T NATION | Mastering the Deadlift - Part 2 very useful esp on lowering part. It's a good watch there with most common mistakes on deads explained.

Here is a tip(which i still aint got the balls to do yet)

Leave your smartphone at home/locker when working out.

Too much distraction otherwise and just carry a dedicated ipod/mp3 player for your music fix.

The other day i was involved in a massive WhatsApp chat while at the gym...

I generally find the people that want to transform their bodies, and succeed are the ones that go the extra mile.

Well done on your own transformation/maintenance. :)

I'll bet you'd have all reported it as spam if it wasn't for the picture :laugh:

I've left the picture there ;)

Grip

I can not believe the number of people I see in the gym with weak grip. I have female clients with better grip than most of the wannabe body builders. The most common issue is people using either straps or mixed grip (or both!!) even for their warm up sets. Yet you see the same people doing wrist curls!! Deadlifting and your back day should provide at a good grip work out each week if you you don't use straps or mixed grip. I only use straps for my max effort deadlifts and only if I think my grip is distracting me from deadlifting with good form.

I also try to work on my grip on other days either doing static holds with Fat Gripz or dumbells/kettle bells or I use these:

RB Grippers

Which I have 2 one requiring 100lbs of pressure, the other requiring 180 lbs of pressure.

If you get good you can try this:

Dmitry Klokov Plate Flips for Grip Strength - All Things Gym

Last edited:
indeed...whil my grip isn't amazing, I can close my 200lb heavy grip, but struggle with my 250lb one... :)

I've also got some cheap fat grips from myprotein too...

they say that if you've got a strong grip then you'll live longer... :)

Strong grip is mega important, I see people doing alsorts of pulling exercises with straps and it never ceases to amaze me. Mrs C has also been told she has a
strong grip which is because I don't let her do mixed grip until she gets to three figures, so it's easy enough to train.

yep, Iused to be able to do pullups in sets (limited numbers - say 25 in total etc) so after I was working on my back I'd simply hang from the pullup bar (in sets) for minutes at a time, then pulling myselfup and holding there (same amount of time), then slowly lowering myself down...

and then I took the plunge the other month and started doing pullups and now typically do 85 in 1/2 hour... :)

and you can spot the people in gyms who don't do any proper pulling - as they're the ones doing forearm exercises... :D

Last edited:
If you think I am mad for saying that training for strength is different to training for size look at the giant Kai Greene training and see how small the weights are:

Kai Greene Off-Season Full Body Workout in Germany | FLEX Online

That is not to say Kai never lifts heavier, but as he regularly states 'he is a bodybuilder, not a weight lifter'.

If you think I am mad for saying that training for strength is different to training for size look at the giant Kai Greene training and see how small the weights are:

Kai Greene Off-Season Full Body Workout in Germany | FLEX Online

That is not to say Kai never lifts heavier, but as he regularly states 'he is a bodybuilder, not a weight lifter'.
Surely the insane amount of drugs people like him take is a major factor*. Do you think a natural will get an effective workout using very small weights? I saw him doing a chest workout with only 60kg on the bar. I can't imagine lifting 30-40% of your max will produce a response. You'll need major assistance (chemicals). Thoughts?

*I read one study where athletes didn't even train and gained muscle purely through taking drugs. They literally sat on their arses and made gains

Surely the insane amount of drugs people like him take is a major factor*. Do you think a natural will get an effective workout using very small weights? I saw him doing a chest workout with only 60kg on the bar. I can't imagine lifting 30-40% of your max will produce a response. You'll need major assistance (chemicals). Thoughts?

*I read one study where athletes didn't even train and gained muscle purely through taking drugs. They literally sat on their arses and made gains

While studies have shown steroids alone can increase lean muscle mass you do not gain Kai's level of muscle mass just from drugs. The way he trains is crucial to his muscle growth and studies show that as little as 20%1RM can cause hypertrophy if the exercise is taken to failure.

No drug free bodybuilder will touch these guys in terms of mass regardless of how they train, but you do not have to lift heavy 100% of the time to get results. Like I said in the OP Kai does not train this light all of the time, but his strength is not in the same league as Yates let alone powerlifters.

While I am no body builder I use weights a light as 4kg in my workout and they do the job for me due to form and maintaining tension throughout each rep.

You could argue that you should use the lightest weight possible in order to create maximum tension through the muscle. As your muscle mass increase you will need more and more weight to create maximum tension. This is the opposite of strength training.

Grip

I can not believe the number of people I see in the gym with weak grip. I have female clients with better grip than most of the wannabe body builders. The most common issue is people using either straps or mixed grip (or both!!) even for their warm up sets. Yet you see the same people doing wrist curls!! Deadlifting and your back day should provide at a good grip work out each week if you you don't use straps or mixed grip. I only use straps for my max effort deadlifts and only if I think my grip is distracting me from deadlifting with good form.

I also try to work on my grip on other days either doing static holds with Fat Gripz or dumbells/kettle bells or I use these:

RB Grippers

Which I have 2 one requiring 100lbs of pressure, the other requiring 180 lbs of pressure.

If you get good you can try this:

Dmitry Klokov Plate Flips for Grip Strength - All Things Gym
One of the benefits of spending twenty yrs as a plumber is the fingers of steel and strong grip, office work and uni has turned the male population into a set of women...

Nice work :) I particularly liked the "data" that the 450% was derived from :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom