Common (BBC One)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Sunday 6 July

A 90-minute drama from Accused creator Jimmy McGovern.

Set in the north west of England and based on the UK’s controversial Joint Enterprise Law

Plus bit more background info - BBC News - Common: Jimmy McGovern takes on 'group' crime rule

Sir Michael Gambon (Doctor Who, Harry Potter), Nico Mirallegro (The Village, My Mad Fat Diary), Daniel Mays (Mrs Biggs, Public Enemies) and Jodhi May (Ice Cream Girls, Strike Back)

Last edited:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Good to see Jodhi team up with Jimmy again, she was exceptional in his earlier BBC work "The Street", actually looking back, we had some of our greatest actors shine in that series.

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
Wow, just 2 posts in here. Surprising.

Thought this was another excellent McGovern story, and educated me on this Joint Enterprise law I knew nothing about. Very controversial in my opinion.

Anyways, as always solid performances all round. Jimmy tells stories about people better than anyone I can remember. Really not enough of his work on TV for my liking. But I guess he can only write so much!!

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
A moving piece and interesting drama

What would have happen if Johnjo had pleaded not guilty after his mates did plead guilty?

Why not take it to trial and let a jury decide, if the other 3 say Johnjo had nothing to do with it, he would of most likely got the same sentence, or even got off?

Last edited:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Agree with rich, we need to see more of Jimmy's work, I though this was a fantastic drama.

I hadn't heard of joint enterprise, watching the follow up doc now Guilty by Association.

Jodhi didn't let me down.

We asked the same question raigraphixs, not sure why the lawyer didn't push for that.

richp007

Distinguished Member
The reason was simply the huge gamble that if he was found guilty it would have been life (or 25 years). That kind of lottery makes a bit of a mockery of the justice system, for someone who was basically innocent. I'm not sure I'd take the chance in that position.

I will have to catch up on the iPlayer that documentary. Have missed it now.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom