Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Committed Tivo user tempted by SKY+ due to Plasma.....

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ColinII, Apr 20, 2003.

1. ColinII

ColinII
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I apologise in advance if you've all heard this a thousand times....

I have a Tivo which I think is a wonderful piece of kit. I work odd hours and without my Tivo I would probably have thrown my TV out by now.

Why Tivo didn't make it into every home in the Country I can't begin to understand.

Anyway, I am about to purchase a Home Cinema System including a Panasonic TH42PWD5 Plasma. I am worried that my Tivo, which has standard disks and thus is not used at BEST quality, will give me a noticeably poor picture.

So I am tempted by SKY+. I understand it captures the raw digital picture so is always on Best. I also hear it isn't as reliable or feature-pakced as the Tivo.

So what are my options....
    1/ Upgrade my Tivo disks. Would not do this myself so ideas on cost / where etc.... would be good
    2/ Go for SKY+ on the Plasma and Tivo on a CRT in another room (which I would barely use).

Opinions please.....

2. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    A frined of mine has a TIVO and a Panny 42" series 4 plasma. I certainly could not not complain about the quality.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    I would upgrade the disc/s and then set it to record everything on Best quality. This is what I do (have 280GB though not all used due to HD size limits) and the picture quality is now superb on my 50" plasma.

Used to be poor but disconnected and reconnected everything and the pic quality took a giant leap upwards :) although do not know why but I am not complaining.

I have Sky+ too in another room and it is also superb but I would find it very difficult to give up the TiVo due to the Season Passes which., IMO, is the best feature of it. Set and forget!!

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    I also have TiVo and a plasma. The TiVo is not upgraded and I also work odd hours. 12 hours at best quality still gives me more recordings than I have time to watch and as for quality, well I find it is no problem but some are more fussy than others.

Mark.

5. ColinII

ColinII
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all that.

So how do I get my Tivo disks upgraded? There's no way I am tackling it myself. (I'm a disaster at such tasks and more importantly don't have the time to spare.)

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    Take a look at www.pacelink.co.uk
    AFAIK they are the only company in the UK that do any upgrades for TiVO.

Mark.