Commercial prep tables...any tips on buying?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Timmy C, Aug 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    Not sure if anyone will have an ideas on this but thought it worth a try. I've just bought a commercial style stainless steel food prep table for my Roccbox (pizza oven) only the thing arrived very knocked about and for reasons I won't go into now, it seems a replacement isn't going to happen so I may need to find somewhere else to buy another one from.

I know little about this kind of thing but based on the research I did, it seems 304 type stainless steel is more sensible than 430 if I'm going to keep it outside, which rules out a lot of the cheaper ones on ebay and the like. I'm on quite a tight budget though so hoping someone may know where to go for best prices. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  2. busterbenny2001

busterbenny2001
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,451
    Bought all mine on eBay used for my bakery always loads there,just search the commercial and business section.

3. busterbenny2001

busterbenny2001
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,451
  4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    I did look at used but the trouble is I can't collect and also I don't know a good one from a bad one. I've just found a place that has some at seemingly reasonable new prices though (under 200 quid) and a huge range of sizes so I can pick one that will fit perfectly.

I decided I wanted 304 stainless steel simply because that is what's apparently used on the Keter Unity BBQ table that I originally had my eye on. I'm perhaps stupidly working on the assumption that if it wasn't suited to garden use they would have used something else. If I'm wrong then someone please tell me before I make a mistake!

5. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    The best is 316 (many add the words marine grade but it isn’t necessary really). It contains molybdenum which 304 doesn’t. Molybdenum adds to the corrosion resistance hence it is
    most suitable in harsher air like at the seaside or at sea.

If the budget it tight and you don’t live near the sea, 304 is fine. Trouble is there is different quality stainless steel regardless of the number. Try to find and afford an established quality brand - IME (at sea so harsher climes) a lot of cheap mainly Chinese made stainless steels (304 and 316) seem to have a corrosion agent in them rather than corrosion resistance from chromium (and molybdenum for 316) like they are supposed to have.

I have also seen welded 316 items where the welding metal was most definitely not the same grade. The 316 was great but the welds corroded.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    Thanks for the detailed info. I did find 316 'marine grade' mentioned a couple of times but I'm yet to come across a table made out of it. The trouble is, I'm looking at prep tables designed for kitchens rather than outdoor use. I'm sure in warmer countries there may be a greater demand for outdoor kitchen furniture but I've not really found anything here.

I've found a Franke branded table who are at least a brand I've heard of which I'm considering. This may mean more to you than me but the spec sheet describes the material as 1.4301 Chrome Nickel steel V2A...which a google search tells me is a techie term for 304 stainless steel. I live on the outskirts of London and nowhere near the sea at least so I'm hoping it will do the job without looking awful after a couple of years!

7. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    304 is good and sounds like it is what you need. I have seen some new things for sale that says they are 304 stainless steel construction but when you see the details they are 430. 430 in serious use is for surfaces is usually splash backs and similar. Not food preparation where you are preparing meats etc.

316 is out there but I reckon rarer (in ready made articles) and no doubt more expensive. Some will say 316 is “the only” food grade for preparation surfaces as it offers the best corrosion resistance to all foods and most cleaning agents.

Franke is a known brand so again a bit more expensive I suspect but hopefully it is what it says on the tin :)

8. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,409
    You could always cover it when not in use for protection against the elements.

A place I worked at had a 80k kitchen installed and large stainless steel serving area's that within 8 months started to throw up rust spots. My guess the company installing or the customer had cut corners on the quality used.

If you have any engineering workshops nearby it could be worth going in and asking if they can supply or cut stainless to sizes you require and for a few £ might even deliver it.

9. its_all_Greek

its_all_Greek
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,609
    I was going to suggest this, if the table isn't going to be moved could you make a fixed food prep surface with just a stainless steel top? they would be able to bend the sheet to cover the front edge and a bend up the back or something.

10. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    I did consider this originally but decided if I take that route then a polished stone top was the way to go. One of the reasons I decided one of these commercial kitchen style tables was the way to go is in winter I can keep it under a porch up against some folding doors that would only be opened in summertime, then in summer I can move it over to the BBQ area. That way I can cook pizza all year round and get even fatter!

11. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    Yes I've seen plenty that say 304 but the details shows that's only the top and legs/undershelf are 430 and in some cases galvanised. The Franke one I looked at implies the whole thing is 304 although their awful trustpilot reviews have concerned me a little!

12. johnny70

johnny70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
  13. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    They look fantastic but even their 304 model is over twice the price of the one I'm considering so I didn't even look at the 316 models. I dare say you get what you pay for so I'm hoping it's a case of the one I'm considering is ideal and these would be overkill rather than the one I plan to buy being rubbish!