• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Comments on this lens Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Jay_N

Established Member
Hi,
I am thinking of buying this lens as I am a bit short on this lenght and this seems to be a good one.
Anyone have any comments on usage etc. It will be for general use. Also is it classed as a wide-angle lens?
Thanks
J

Bristol Pete

Prominent Member
Jay_N said:
Hi,
I am thinking of buying this lens as I am a bit short on this lenght and this seems to be a good one.
Anyone have any comments on usage etc. It will be for general use. Also is it classed as a wide-angle lens?
Thanks
J

Great lens, L quality optics and build with IS. Superb image quality and a reasonable length. Not ultra wide of course on 1.6 camera but many many people use it as an everyday lens and are very happy. F4 only but not a massive problem as they bokeh at f4 from this is awesome and the IS is a real boon.

I have the 24 - 70mm 2.8L and if its anything like that then yes, buy it :)

Pete.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Cracking lens, my most used lens at the moment, excellent quality and IS. A little bit short for some of the stuff I want to do and not the most ideal on lower light, but it's still a cracking walk lens for outdoor use on a 1.6 crop camera.

I think stocks were initially low due to a flare problem with early lense, date code 1000 and less I think, and also the EOS 5D being bundled with it which made it only £500 or so.

Ray

Established Member
http://www.the-digital-picture.com is a good site for canon lens reviews (plus other stuff). About this lens the author says

"Boasting the superb build, mechanical and optical quality of the Canon L-Series Lenses and a widely used range of focal lengths, the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens is one of the best and most popular Canon general purpose lenses made. The Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens quickly became one of my favorites. If I had only one lens, this would be the one."

You'll find the zoom lenses on this page http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Zoom-Lens-Reviews.aspx

Ray

Jay_N

Established Member
Well it seems it could be this one then, but what about stock?
Jessops are quoting 2 - 4 weeks but their prices are a bit high.
Anyone know anywhere that has these in stock?
J

Bristol Pete

Prominent Member
onefivenine said:
Nowhere seems to have this lens in stock - I've been keeping an eye out for a while for one of these beauties...

Bristol cameras had one in today as I saw it with my good eye. Great prices too :thumbsup:

Ray

Established Member
Bristol Pete said:
Bristol cameras had one in today as I saw it with my good eye. Great prices too :thumbsup:

You should have bought it Pete. I'm sure you could have added a 10% handling charge :)

Ray

Jay_N

Established Member
Thanks all for the replies. Great as normal.
My only question, will this be as good on a camera with 1.3x Crop?
J

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Jay_N said:
Thanks all for the replies. Great as normal.
My only question, will this be as good on a camera with 1.3x Crop?
J

Do you mean 1.6 crop, and yes, it should be from what I hav heard.
It is classed as a wide lens on a standard camera but on a 1.6 crop it is equivalent to 38-168mm.

Jay_N

Established Member
hmm, I may be wrong, iI though my camera had a 1.3x crop (EOS1DMarkIIN)
J

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Its better on a 1.3 crop than a 1.6, as you get more wide angle. This is canon's 'kit' lense for the 5D, so they see this as the ideal range for a full frame camera. Its equivalent on a 1.6 is the 17-85.

Shimmyhill

Established Member
Its a great lens if you get a good copy, Canon had problems with them to begin with that should be sorted. However when i tried one it back focused and a quick look around the net confirms that many do. I imagine the stock issues relate to this.

It is a great lens, not as sharp as the 24-70 L but still awesome.

barongreenback

Established Member
In fact, no need to answer. Picked up one in Jacobs in Birmingham and they price matched based on my word (they'd done one the previous day). Off to play with it...

onefivenine

Prominent Member
barongreenback said:
In fact, no need to answer. Picked up one in Jacobs in Birmingham and they price matched based on my word (they'd done one the previous day). Off to play with it...

I hope you post some shots!

barongreenback

Established Member
Most of my shots are of people (hence I've never posted a shot here before), however in honour of my first L lens, I shall take some different shots this weekend for the group ;)

Jay_N

Established Member
Thanks for all you comments. I have one now. Found a very nice place called AJ Purdy in Harlow. Very helpful and quite a good price.
They were so helpful I as purchased a EF 100-400 f4-5.6 L IS USM :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom