1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comments on Sony KD28DL11 does this have same picture quality as infamous KD10?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by tonyneo, Aug 23, 2004.

1. tonyneo

tonyneo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Sony KD28DL11 have the same picture quality as the highly-rated predecessor in the Sony KD28D10?

Anyone possess the Panasonic TX28PS5? Any positive views or otherwise on this set?

I am looking to make a purchase...!

Thanks.

2. scott666

scott666
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was in John Lewis (Glasgow) on saturday looking for something similar, didn't see the Sony in there but the best picture I saw was a Panasonic TX-28DTX1. They had a good deal on as well, tv with free dvd for £549 inc 5 year warranty.....very tempting....but since the reason I was in Glasgow was to buy a DVD player from Richer Sounds I didn't buy it. It's a far more stylish looking set than the Sony as well, similar spec and available from various sources on Pricerunner for around £430, anyone got one of these Pannys? I haven't seen any reviews anywhere......

3. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is that the only difference between DL10 and DL11 is the digital software for the EPG etc. I've had a play with the same software on a DX51 in JL and it was much nicer to use than the Pana or any of the other IDTVs for that matter. I think the Pana in particular was pretty slow with the BBCi stuff too, and reminded me more of my first generation IDTV at home than any of the contemporary STBs or IDTVs which I've played with in shops.

4. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony KD28DL11 and I have to say i'm very impressed with the picture quality compared to my older Sony IDTV which it replaced. The picture however did have a slight bow in the top left hand corner but I have been able to fix this in the Service menu. :)

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you how it compares to the DL10 as I have not seen a DL10 in use. As TV-Headache states i'm sure the only diference is the Digital EPG Software and I also read improved sound.

Hope this helps

Steve

5. Struan

Struan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I concur with TV Headache - Usefully, a local store had the 32dx51 and TX-32DTX1 side by side, and although the (digital) channel switching was quicker on the Panasonic, the interactive services take an absolute age to load - the Sony was MUCH faster, though not what I would call quick in absolute terms (this is my only experience with IDTV; maybe all of them are, to varying degrees, slow in use?).

The Panasonic also had the annoying practice of, when set to 4:3 for true automatic selection of the correct aspect, ‘opening' as 4:3 then, a second or so later, switching to 16:9 if the broadcast was W/S – As far as I can remember, the Sony instantly ‘opened' up in 4:3, 16:9 etc. as appropriate – much nicer :)

BTW, are STBs any quicker than IDTVs?

6. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    STBs are generally considered to be quicker BUT then again most people who's comments I've read seem to be comparing very modern set-top boxes to first or second generation IDTVs which is like comparing a Pentium 4 to a Pentium 2 in computer-speak because digital TV hardware and software has moved on very quickly in a short space of time.

I've tried the Sony set-top box and the DL11 in the same shop and they seemed pretty much the same speed to me, although the set-top's initial resonse to the remote seemed faster (generally that is, not just with the interactive stuff).