Comments on Panasonic DMR-EX85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cdh555, Dec 24, 2006.

1. cdh555

cdh555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Greetings.

First up this is my first post, though I've been lurking for a while reading up on various things.

Thought I'd put in my feedback about this recorder.

I've happily been using a Toshiba RD-XS32 for the last few years and spent a long time researching before making a choice.
    Now it's time for a replacement, as I frequently run out of space.
    There was no function I cconsidered missing from this unit.

So after much thinking I decided to go with the DMR-EX85 since I now had a panasonic plasma 42PX600.

It arrived a couple of days ago, and after using it for the last couple of days I have to say it's now being returned as not suitable for my needs.

Reasoning, is that it lacks a lot of usability that I have taken for granted with the XS32 and there is no way I can live without it.
    So here is the good / bad list.

Good
    1. Picture / sound and record quality.

2. Setup very easy.

3. Reasonably straight forward remote.

4. Quite operation.

5. Fast startup from standby.

6. Very nice way it only partially turns on from standby when performing a timer recording.

7. Fairly good freeview guide etc, but not as good as that that is built into the TV.

8. Pretty good interface for copying to DVD etc.

Bad
    1. The black screening problem when on freeview as discussed in a number of threads here.

2. The unit is very slow in responding to the remote, as in press stop on playback and it's not instant there is a noticable delay. Same for fast forward, rewind etc.

3. The manual skip doesn't work on pre-recorded DVD's though the manual inidcates is should.

4. The fact you can't use playback x1.3 on anything other than the HDD and RAM, and there are restrictions when you can use that.

5. The fact that when recording or a timer set for the HDD you can't use the DVD drive properly, by that I mean playback NTSC discs a HUGE deficiency. IT shouldn't matter what one drive is doing the other should playback anything that is thrown at it.

6. When a prerecord DVD is stopped, the screen saver is displayed it should ideally show the input that is selected on the unit.

7. There is no way I figured to get a display showing you the amount of play time left on a title, being a pre-recorded DVD or a recording on the HDD.

8. Annoying sample playing when in navigator mode, wish it could be swithced off.

9. Only digital optical output, personally I'd prefer coaxial only or both as a choice.

Some of the bad I knew before hand, like the black screen on freeview and the playback problem when a timer was set.
    The problems I found went a lot deeper than I thought given the comments I'd read here.

Hopefully this will help others in deciding is this is the unit for them.

Now for my question :) does anyone know of a unit that will do the functions I expect out there currently?
    The biggy for me being that I can be recording on the HDD and I can play any format of DVD I wish (PAL or NTSC) while the HDD is recording.

Thanks.
    Chris

2. ChainsawDude

ChainsawDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    How can you list 9 bad points without mentioning the WSS problem? :)

I think Pioneer might be your best bet, I will have to check if it will play NTSC while simultaneously recording PAL.
    Pioneer will record NTSC and along with Philips, they are the only ones that will so if Pioneer wont do what you want, I doubt if any will, but it may be that none will.

3. cdh555

cdh555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for checking on the Pioneer, which model?
    I do not need to record in NTSC, just be able to playback any DVD I have while recording on the HDD and I have a good number of NTSC disks.
    I never paid in anymid as to which DVD is PAL/NTSC as it's never affected me I just sling it and use it no problem, since using the EX-85 I've not realise how much I depended on it.

The WSS issue, I knew before hand and it was not really a problem to me.

The other bad point I've remembered is no 'open dvd tray' on the remote, again never realised how much I used it until I didn't have it. Again I happed to know that before buying but it's still a little oversight on panasonics part.

4. blackstone

blackstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Why did you not purchase another replacement Toshiba recorder or do they not have the spec' you req'. I only ask as I have a Tosh 32 wlt66 and would like a complimentary product. Happy Holiday BTW