1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comments and advice please.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by AdamW, Jul 5, 2005.

1. AdamW

AdamW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all,

My question is a simple, I have moved out of home and I am looking to start to put together a reasonable system. I am starting with a widescreen tv, and will follow up with surround sound, and a pvr asap later in the year.

Can anyone recommend a good point to start with a widescreen tv, I have about £600 to 800 to spend. I like the looks of the Philips PW9509 and Toshiba 32ZP48. But people have had problems, are these fairly common? I don't fancy buying hardware and then having to spend time and more resources having it fixed in a years time. Any ideas anyone.

I was looking towards a Humax 8000T (80gb) for a PVR. Are these any good?
    They have them in my local SuperFi for £150. Is it worth it? Is there a better alternative?

Surround sound? I haven't a clue. I am open to all ideas.

So basically to sum up I am starting from scratch and need help. :lease:

Thanks in advice. :)

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The Tosh is certainly a good TV - the 'problem' with buying flagship systems is that they are pushing the bounds of technology and it is almost inevitable that you will get some bugs in the system. Given the number of units shifted I doubt the problems are any where as prevalent as they would appear if you read the forum.

Cant comment on the PVR as I went the Sky+ route instead

Surround sound - guess it depends on (1) what your budget is (2) what you want to achieve - do you want a big system that will rival a cinema or do you want a cheap small descrete system that will just give a flavour of surround - do you want it to be purely for film/tv or is it also to be your music system?

3. AdamW

AdamW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I to take it the Tosh is better than the Philips I specfied?
    Are there any other good 32" CRT for £600 to 800 worth having a look for?
    A well know site E***** has the Tosh up for £631.35. Is it worth while taking the £138.99 for a further 5 years warrenty? (Well the one years manufacturers plus four more).

Surround sound, I think basically I am after spending no more than £150. Is it worth it firstly? I presume I am only going to be able to compliment my tv and film watching rather than recreate the cinema or play music. Any ideas?

Edit:

Also noted from the same website, included are;

Accessories included : Remote control, Open cabinet stand, Front extension speakers and rear speakers.

Are these any good? Do I infact need to purchase any surround speakers as it appears to come with some.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, the Toshiba 32ZP48 gives you surround sound - you do not need to spend any more cash on it. If it gives you 'peace of mind' spend your money on the extra warranty. Regards, yt.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    John Lewis will price match certain companies and give a free 5 year warrenty - do a search on here and you should be able to find details of other previous sucesses in these matters.

I have never seen the philips so cannot comment on it.

6. AdamW

AdamW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments guys.
    Popped on John Lewis website but they only have the 36" Tosh. Will they price match others when the others don't offer the extended warrenty?

7. jackrenton

jackrenton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had the same problems as yourself choosing a new tv in the end i went for the phillips as i couldnt find a shop nearby with the toshiba in to veiw it.....but..............the phillips went back with no end of problems (dirty screen, sound problems etc etc) and i swapped it for a tosh 32zp48 which i am more than happy with !!!
    as red 16v says above it comes with surround speakers and a built in subwoofer. now this isnt going to blow you away compaired to a dedicated surround system (i have a kef and marantz system) but it is a very good starting point, if you like the sound then there is no need to shell out more cash is there!!!!!!!