1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comments/Alternatives to M&K system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by PMD, Oct 16, 2005.

1. PMD

PMD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering purchasing the following M&K speakers 3 LCR 850's for the front, 4 S55's for the surround/rears and a MX350 Sub. This gear is to go with my Harmon Karrdon AVR7300, Arcam Diva DV79 and Sim2 20H. This is all strung togeather with QED Silver anniversary cabling for the surrounds and Chord Rumour for the front 3.

Before I actually part with my money for the above M&K speakers I thought I would ask you guys for your comments/sugestions/recommendations. I have auditioned the above and most of the M & K range, but I have not listened to many other manufacturers speakers.

Cheers

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PMD,

I used to have the 851's which were also partnered with the MX350 sub and it was a superb sounding setup and they were being run by the Yamaha Z9 but you're choice of the big H/K will be a great choice to run the M&K's as it has lots of current to drive difficult speaker loads and the 850's need power to sound there best.

IMO you're choice in speakers and amp is 1st rate and you will not be dissapointed with the performance :thumbsup:

Regards
    John

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suggest you do go and have a demo of some other speakers - it's a lot of money to spend after all.

I can't stand M&K speakers and think they are poor value, but on the other hand a lot of people love them. It's obviously best to find out which group you are in!

For a rather different style of philosophy in the same price bracket, I'd recommend the Kef XQ range: XQ5 fronts, XQ2C centre, XQ1 rears, PSW4000 sub. Make sure its the PSW4000 sub. They also handily avoid the bought-from-Maplin aesthetics of the M&Ks...

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously a very different opinion but hey everyone is entitled to that and as superpixel has said it is a lot of money to be spending so you will want to make sure that choice is the right one ;)

The M&K monitor sound is not to everyones taste but you have auditioned the suggested system so i presume you like the sound and for Home Cinema they easily outperform alot of other speakers that are availible as they are extremley detailed in there presentation which can make other speakers to sound dull in comparison.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I like the M&K sound which is why I use them. Some may find them a little too bright for music but I accept that trade off for the dynamics that they bring to movies.

You obviously like that "monitor" type of sound so try and listen to PMC if you can find them locally

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PMD - The only critiscm i would have at the suggested setup would be the choice of wireing and that both the Chord and QED cables are mostly silver and i did find then to be alittle on the bright side with that choice of speaker and found the M&K's to work better with Van Den Hul wireing, but this is all very subjective and you may not feel the same, but i thought i would mention this.. :)

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    My system is very similar to what you have suggested and it does sound fantastic with movies the 850 series also look excellent in the real wood veeners nothing like you would purchase at maplins. The m&ks are some of the most detailed and dynamic speakers for film that you can get and teamed up with the right components the sound is fantastic, A few people still like the muffled sound they get from their hifi speakers which is a reason i think they are somtimes disliked as the m&ks are very clear in sound and detail.

PS i use copper speaker wire and van den hul cables.

8. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    My first M&K system was the LCR750 package with S55 surrounds, and after owning a Kef Reference package, i can vouch for the fact that M&K are almost unbeatable in the movie stakes. Some may hate the sound, fair enough. For me there's no turning back. Stick with the speaker setup, just audition a few amps with them to make sure you have the sound you want.

9. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    I'd echo that one....having owned various M&K speakers, I found the PMCs to be more rounded but still retaining that crispness for movies. I was thinking of selling my entire setup a few weeks ago (to help push along the house deposit) but when I came to think of what I'd buy when I put a new system together again, I kept coming back to PMC. Unfortunately from this weekend everything's going to be boxed up for a few months....but I certainly won't sell my PMCs:) (I still use M&Ks for the rears though)